Monday, May 16, 2016

Such A Nerd

I am such a nerd.

A history nerd, that is.

I'd put that Scott's Turf Builder on my front yard a week or so ago.  I was reading up to try to find out how soon I could spread the grass seed I'd bought.  My mental conversation went something like this:

Hmmm, OK, it says you can reseed 30 days after applying the weed killer...soooo, that would make it June 6.  Ah!  D-Day!  I can reseed on D-Day.  So, I guess D-Day is d-day."

Then I laughed uproariously as if I'd said something terribly witty and clever instead of something not..um..witty and clever.

Ahem, moving right along.


Saturday was a totally psycho day at work.  We'd only been there about an hour when a fight broke out.  They took those two people up to the office and calmed them down.  The dust had barely settled from that fight, when another one broke out, this time between a girl and her boyfriend.  They got those two separated, when the girl tried to pick a fight with another girl,  "What are you looking at?  You got something to say?"

As if that weren't enough, we started running out of things.  First this part, then that part, then another part.  By this time, we were looking around asking each other if we'd gotten our dates mixed up.  "I thought yesterday was Friday the 13th!"  Finally, they decided to just cut their losses and send everyone home.

So, yay.  But then I had to go to the store, were I broke my self imposed moratorium on buying yarn.  I'd made it almost three years.  But, see, we have a little girl coming into the family in July and I wanted to knit something for her.  I perused my stash, but nothing leapt out and grabbed me.  

At the store, wandering down the yarn aisle, this did leap out and grab me.


I picked up two skeins of it, thinking I'd make a blanket.  However, I thought better of that, since most new mothers get more baby blankets than they know what to do with.    Besides, this baby will be born in the summer, in the land of air made of hot soup.   She won't really need a blanket. On to plan B.  A baby dress.  A lacy, frilly baby dress.  But not too lacy or frilly.

I did an online pattern search and came up with this little gem.  You can get the pattern here:  Lazy Daisy Baby Dress.


It is knit flat, then you seam the skirt up to the button band.  I'm thinking if I ever make another one, I might try joining it and knitting in the round after I do the bodice part.  Step one:  find circular needles.

Lest you think I've forgotten my little cross stitch ornaments, I haven't.


Yes, that is painter's tape I used to keep the edges from fraying.  I have some masking tape around here somewhere.  That's the key word:  somewhere.  Oh well, it'll turn up, most likely right after I've bought a new roll.

Isn't that the way it goes?

No comments: