Saturday, March 19, 2016

The Secret

I am so not used to having Saturdays off, that I woke up this morning thinking, "Today is Palm Sunday.  I need to go to church, so I'd better start getting ready."  Then I remembered.  Oh, yeah, it's Saturday, and I have all this stuff I want to do today.  I've found the secret to actually getting stuff done on your day off.  Want to know what it is?  I'll tell you.

Don't get on Facebook.

Seriously, don't get on Facebook.  I had a big, long list of things to get done today, so instead of my usual logging in to Facebook to see what's going on in the world, I dived right in to it.  Most of what I wanted to accomplish involved getting Cody's room finished, so that's what I did first.

I washed his sheets and got them back on the bed.  I caulked around both of his windows, and hung his other set of curtains.

I tossed both sets of curtains in the dryer to de-wrinkle them while I was caulking, and they look a lot nicer now.  The last thing I did was to replace his light switch plate.

The kid who lived here before had painted and drawn on it, and it looked kind of tacky.   A nice, new one is just the ticket. 

It's the little things, the details that make a home nice.

His room is done for now.  I was going to leave the sideways paneling, because I really like the way it looks.  However, the more I looked at it, the more damage I see.

Nail holes, screw holes, pin holes, staples still in the walls -- not to mention all the tape marks.  It's not residue or anything I could remove.  The tape has taken the top layer of color off the paneling.  In this little section between the window and the other wall, I counted -- I should say, I stopped counting at 35 holes. 

There were more, I just got tired of counting.  I had originally thought I could fill them in with wood putty and stain it, but there are just too many.  I think eventually, I'm going to have to replace all that paneling, plus the framing around the windows.  I'll replace the molding and add baseboards at that time. 

I'm thinking we can do that after Cody moves to New Orleans.  I'm not sure how much of his furniture he's going to take with him.  I'm secretly hoping he takes that bed.  It's a queen size bed and is too big for that little room.  If he does take it, I'll replace it with a double bed.  As it is, he barely has room to sit at his computer desk (which I'm sure he'll take with him) without bumping into the bed. 

Well, the whole point of that is that if he takes his bed, that'll be a good time to get the walls replaced.  I'll have time to debate whether to use the sideways paneling, or just put regular drywall and paint it.  I can add insulation, if they don't already have it in there. 

After doing all that, plus 4 loads of laundry, it was time to go to the store.  On this week's paycheck, I got my bonus for getting perfect attendance last month.  I used it to buy something I've been wanting for a while.  Trying to hang curtains with only a manual screwdriver convinced me that this was the way to go.

I got both screwdrivers and drill bits to go with it.  Now, I'll be ready to hang that bathroom cabinet I've been putting off forever.

I was taking some trash out, when I saw two jonquils I'd bought a couple of weeks ago.  I needed to get them into the ground, so I got my trowel out of the shed and planted them in what is going to become my daffodil bed.  I'll go more into detail on that in a later post.   I was putting the trowel back, and thought to myself, I still need to plant all these spider lily bulbs that I'd dug up from the old house.  I was afraid if I left them too much longer, they'd all rot. 

The ground is still really soft from all the rain we've had recently, and now would be a good time to plant them.  That's what I did.  I had so many bulbs, I was able to put a double line all the way down the fence on the West side of my back yard, plus a few randomly scattered under the big tree in the back corner.  I may not be able to move tomorrow, but by golly, I got all those bulbs into the ground.  

That was enough work for one day.  It was time to sit down and knit a little bit.  I knit the other preemie bootie of the pair I started a week ago. 

Or, I should say, I finally remembered where I'd put that yarn so I could knit the other bootie of that pair I started last week.  Now I need to find some pink yarn and make some girl booties. 

No comments:


Related Posts with Thumbnails