Friday, January 29, 2016

The Point

I need to clarify a few things about yesterday's post.  First of all, I do not have a stalker.  Secondly, some of you need to stop watching so many crime dramas. 

OK, in the interest of full disclosure, while most of what I posted yesterday did come from one person, a couple of those statements were from a couple of different men.  I could have posted dozens more quotes from several more men, but I felt the post would become too tedious. 

That out of the way, the bulk of the post did come from one man, but he isn't stalking me.  I'm not walking around quivering in fear, constantly watching over my shoulder.  Fact is, he's more scared of me than I am of him.  He as much as told me so once.  "Did you notice you're the only one who ever fights back?"

I was stunned.  I can't imagine not fighting back.  But I digress...

I was reminded this morning that "some people just don't appreciate that kind of joking".  And he does claim he's just joking.  Even the part about tying me to a chair -- which I felt was a bit overboard, since rape is nothing to joke about-- but I'm still not afraid of him.  When he said that, my response was, "Yeah, good luck with that."

One day, he came up to me and said, "That look on people's faces when they see me coming...am I really that bad?" 

"Yeah, you are pretty bad,"  I told him.

"I'm just joking around, trying to have a little fun," he said.

I told him, "But your jokes aren't funny.  Your jokes are hurtful and mean." 

"What am I doing?" he asked.  I just looked at him. 

That's beside the point.  Everyone seems to be totally misconstruing my post.  It wasn't about me, and my feelings.  These guys aren't hurting me, or my feelings.  Nor am I afraid of them.  They're irritating -- like that one gnat that won't stop buzzing around your face.  Annoying, but basically harmless. 

No, my post wasn't about my feelings.  It was about their wives' feelings.   How would it make your wife feel to hear you call someone else beautiful, or to know you'd nicknamed someone else "pretty girl"?  Or that you told a mutual friend that if I just gave the word, you'd leave her in a heartbeat?  How would that make your wife feel? 

How would it make your wife feel to know you'd asked another woman to marry you -- even if you claim it is in jest?   How would it make your wife to feel to know you were flirting with all these other women?  How would it make your wife feel to know you were imagining intimacy with someone else? 

That's what I was getting at.  And that's why it's a form of infidelity. 

In short, it's cheating. 

No comments: