Monday, June 01, 2015

The Wrong Day


I picked the wrong day to wear my new boots to work for the first time. 

I'd been wearing them at home to try to get them broken in a bit before wearing them all day long.  Good thing, too.  I think I would have chopped my feet off if I'd tried to wear them straight from the box.  I was doing OK.  My feet were hurting a little bit, but not so much I couldn't stand it. 

Get it?  Stand it? Like standing?  On my feet?

OK, never mind then.  

I was doing OK until Supervisor Ronnie came running up and asked me, "Do you know how to braze [such and such] headers?  Can you go over to line 1 and braze this order up?"

I got over there, and they didn't have all the parts.  I went back to my line, and about 30 minutes later, Ronnie comes up with a box in his hand.  They'd found the parts after all.  "Can you stay late and braze these?"

I told Cody to just go on home and come pick me up at 4:00.  So I got to work a 10 hour shift in my new boots.  Yes, my feet are feeling it. 

I had to laugh at Cody Saturday when we got off.  He said, "That one day off is just enough to tease us."  He said that Ronnie had asked him if he was sure he wanted to go back to school.  He said yes, he'd run up too much student debt to quit now.  I said, "You don't want to spend the rest of your life working in a factory, anyway." 

He said, "I don't want to spend the rest of the summer working in a factory, but I need the money." 

I laughed and said, "Welcome to real life." 

Despite being plumb knackered, when I got home, I rigged up a sort of lazy kate for my two spindolyn spindles and plied the fuzzy lettuce yarn. 


 Yes, it's still on the bobbin.  I just ran out of energy and decided it would wash just as well tomorrow as it would today.

I have this much left on one of the spindles.  



I might try my hand at Navajo plying that, just to see how to do it. 

Tomorrow. 

Tonight, I'm too tired to think, much less try to learn something new.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

That is so cool! And punny. There is a really good video that showed me how to Navajo ply. Just try it slowly at first and work your way up to a comfortable speed.
http://youtu.be/JmlwtojLXI8