Thursday, April 23, 2015

Typical Thor's Day

It has been just another typical Thor's Day around here.  Filled with mayhem from the get go. 

It all started when I woke up exhausted.  I don't know what I'd been dreaming about, but the sheets were torn off the bed and Jesse was hiding.  All I remember about the dream was that Sears was closing, and I couldn't find my convertible, so my dentist's wife and I went and hid in the back of the dentist's office. 

Then I get to work, and of the six people that work at the front of my line (not counting sub-brazers), three of them were out.  I knew one man was going to be out, because his grandma passed away.  We won't be back until Monday.  I don't know where the other two were. 

That was just the front of the line;  there were some out on the back of the line, too.  Nevertheless, we were very shorthanded.  We managed to scrounge up enough people to at least get some work done, but some of us had to do double duty. 

As if that weren't enough, the shift that we are not allowed to hold accountable for anything had brazed two orders of header assemblies wrong, and I had to re-do them.  Not only did I have to re-do them, but the machine in tubing that makes those parts was down, so I had to reuse the old parts.  I won't go into all the gory details, but it wasn't pretty.  The poor guy who was running the leak test station was fussing all the while, saying we should have scrapped them and started over.

"I agree with you," I said, "but it wasn't my call.  Fernando said I had to reuse the parts."

"I know," he replied.  "You're doing the best you can, and that's all you can do."  

In the middle of doing that, my striker -- which I use to light my brazing tip -- broke.  I couldn't light my brazing tip, which meant work ground to a halt.  At that point, I told Supervisor Ronnie, "I'm giving up on this day." 

Adding insult to injury, if you've known me for any length of time, you know that I do not like people in my personal space.  Well, one of the guys they brought over from another department to help out...I was trying to be patient because I know he didn't know what was going on or anything.  I just got so tired of tripping over him every time I turned around.  I mean, he was all kinds of up in the way.  I was so glad when Group Leader Fernando moved him somewhere else.

At long last, the mayhem came to an end and the work day was over.  I'm at home relaxing, perusing Facebook, when I hear a massive dog fight in the back yard.  It was Jesse and the two dogs next door.  At least this time, no blood was spilled.    That's probably the first good thing that has happened today.

So, I'm sitting here thinking about all the crafty things I've bought in the last few weeks, wondering why I haven't actually done any of them.

Then, I think back on days like today, and say to myself, "Oh.  I get it now." 

No comments:


Related Posts with Thumbnails