Tuesday, November 18, 2014

In Spite Of Everything

In spite of everything else that is going on, I had a rather productive weekend.  Besides the usual laundry and vacuuming, I actually mopped my kitchen and bathroom floors.  Yay me!

Before Mike's little incident, the original plan was for James and me to spend Sunday afternoon grinding up deer meat.  So, I needed to make some room in my freezer.  I dug way down to the bottom and found four bags of tomatoes. Fresh garden tomatoes.  Well, they were fresh when I swiped them from James' garden and put them into my freezer a couple of years ago...


But enough about that...

I cooked them down, and will eventually make soup out of them.  Which will have to somehow go back into the freezer.  Imagine my horror when I got home from work today and discovered I'd forgotten to put an entire box of Jenny O's Turkey Burgers back into the freezer.  Even as cool as it has been, after sitting out for 4 days, I felt that discretion was the better part of valor and tossed them.  I guess that's where I'll get my room in the freezer for the soup.   Whenever I get around to making it. 

In other news...

I've been wanting to clean out my computer/craft room for some time now.  It was starting to look like something that belonged in an episode of Hoarders.  During the non-stop rain Sunday, and other plans being put on hold, I finally got to it. 

The first thing I did was drag all the yarn that was sitting around in boxes and bags on the floor out and put them on the couch.  


That's a lot of yarn.  That's not even counting the what is still on shelves in the closet, or the yarn I had already dragged out to weave with. 


Can you believe I haven't bought yarn in a year????  And I still have that much left. 

After getting all of that up off of the floor, most of what was left was old receipts and junk mail waiting to be shredded or burned.  Today being a relatively calm day, and with the ground still being saturated from nearly 24 hours of non stop rain, as soon as I got home from work, I bagged it all up and headed out to the burning barrels.

You know that old saying that smoke follows beauty?  Well, that smoke must have thought I was the most beautiful thing that ever existed. South side of the barrels, here comes the smoke.  Move around to the North side, yep, the wind switches and suddenly the smoke is blowing that direction... No matter where I went, it followed me.  Whatever, I finally got all my junk burned, reflecting as I did so on the sad state of our society.  A society in which healthy, able bodied people would rather dig through someone else's garbage than be independent and self sufficient. 

There is still a lot of stuff in my computer/craft room floor, but it's a lot better than it was. In the midst of all that junk and clutter, I found an entire bag full of completed scarves. 


You get a picture of the bag and not the scarves because I'm so together like that.  I used to knit scarves for a charity called Scarves From The Heart, which donated them to a couple of cancer centers in their area.  The last time I went to the website to look up the address to send them some more, I found that the site had been taken down and the charity disbanded.  Or disassociated.  Or whatever charities do when they stop being charities. 

So now I've got a bag full of frou frou scarves and no place to send them.  They are more decorative than warm, and hand wash only, so not suitable for homeless shelters and such. Oh, well, I'll find somewhere for them eventually. 

Speaking of scarves, I found this lovely bit of Cherry Tree Hill stuck in the back of the closet and promptly warped the loom with it. 


The color is Spring Frost.  I haven't started weaving yet, though.  I'm still having some slight tension issues, and the accompanying frustration has kind of put me off for a while. 

Now, the moment I'm sure you've all been waiting for...at least those of you who read my earlier Facebook status. 

Today at work, we had our annual Thanksgiving dinner.  On the menu this year was ham, dressing, mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans, and cranberry sauce.  Oh, and cake. 

It was all very delicious, except the green beans and cranberry sauce, which I didn't get because I don't like them.  As I was enjoying my potatoes and gravy, I came upon a brown, globby mass in the gravy.  I pushed it around with my fork a minute, then said, "I don't know what that is, but I'm fixing to eat it." 

If that isn't proof that the people who invented haggis are somewhere in my ancestry, I don't know what is. 

No comments: