Tuesday, April 17, 2012

It's A Good Thing

I guess it's a good thing that I'm so impatient.

I'd taken today off of work to get all my stuff planted in my flower bed. But, once we got the hot wire stretched Saturday evening, I just couldn't wait that long. I got out there Sunday afternoon and planted everything, because I just couldn't wait.

That's a good thing, because it ended up raining all day today. Actually, it started raining Sunday night and hasn't stopped yet.

I had other stuff in the yard I wanted to do-- like trimming up my ever more scraggly Azaleas, and pulling the honeysuckle out of the pear and plum trees-- but the rain, well, I just didn't want to get out in it.

So I finished off the 2011 Anniversary Mystery Shawl. Here it is in its unblocked state.


Here is a closeup of the pattern.


Kindly ignore the state of my carpet. Two days of rain plus three dogs equals a nasty carpet, and until the mud dries, there's no point in trying to do anything about it.

Around 4:30ish, I put on my jacket and went to check my flower beds to see if anything was growing yet.  Yeah, I only planted two days ago, but I'm impatient like that.  To my horror, I found a bulb laying on top of the dirt.  My first thought was that one of my daffodils had been uprooted.

Well, my first thought was "ACK!", but that goes without saying.

I checked my flower bed carefully, but nothing seemed out of place, nor were there any holes where it looked like anything had been uprooted.  Then I picked up the bulb, and saw that it wasn't a daffodil anyway.  Nearest I could tell, it was a spider lily bulb. 

I think.  The leaves look like spider lily, but compared to the rest of my spider lily bulbs, it is HUGE. 


No matter.  Tomorrow afternoon, as soon as I get off of work, it is getting planted.

Where it came from remains a mystery.  The only thing I can think of is that James dug it up when he was digging his drainage ditch from the garden, and tossed it over there where I would find it.

Either that, or it fell out of the sky.

No comments: