Monday, February 07, 2011

C is For

You knew there was really only one thing I could go with for this letter, didn't you?  Yes, you are right.

C is for 

cat.


We always had cats when I was growing up, because my daddy didn't like dogs. One day, I'll tell you why, but not today. We had cats, and Siamese cats were our favorites. Now that I'm grown, I have dogs, but there is still a soft spot in my heart for cats.

This is Squeaky. Let me tell you how I come by having her.

I was at work one day, when James found her in my front yard. He thought she was mine, and knowing I didn't allow my cats to run loose, he caught her for me. He put her in a pet carrier with a little bowl of water until I could come get her.  She wasn't mine.  She'd apparently been dumped, and had found her way to the one person-- OK, maybe not the ONLY person, but definitely one of them-- who would take her in, no questions asked.

By the time I got home, she had meowed so much there was nothing left of her voice but a little squeak. That's how she got her name.

Honestly, she was in such poor health that I thought she was going to die. So, I decided that if she was going to die, at least she would die warm, well fed, and in a safe place.

Ten years later, she is still with us--fat, sassy, and running the house hold.

Don't believe me? Just check out the posts I've written about her.

Yeah.

She's the queen.

9 comments:

Sus said...

Aw, I like the story of Squeak! You're obviously a very good kitty mama. :)

Becky G said...

Thanks, Sus!

Otter said...

Awww...sweet story. That is how my kitties come to me...needing a home. Only one that I have now...the Princess...was given to me for my birthday by a dear friend after I saw the beautiful kitten and fell in love.

Dale said...

I had a cat, (Tommy) when I was younger. He would follow me around town like a dog. Everywhere I went Tommy would go. One night when we were on our way back home from the movies Tommy ventured off down a alley not too far from home. I heard a horrible screaching sound comming from the alley and Tommy was in a fight, with a huge tomcat. Tommy ran off that night and I never saw him again. I still blame myself for letting Tommy get attacked that night. Never got another cat. There was just no replacing Tommy.

Becky G said...

Thanks, Cyndye.

Dale, I had a cat like that, too. His name was Skipper. He'd follow me around like a dog, even coming when I called his name. But my parents didn't believe in taking cats to the vet, so he died of distemper when he was 9 months old. Though I've had cats since then, there is still no replacing Skipper. He's the one that stands out in my memory.

Patti said...

LOL, it's like they just know which is the right house to go to! :)

Nice story Bec ('cept the part about her being dumped, grrrr); if you had posted that before then I missed it

Becky G said...

I think I've posted bits and pieces of it, but I don't know if I'd posted the whole story.

Lorri said...

Aww, what a cute little kitty face! I'm glad she survived and is now ruling your house. :)

Becky G said...

Thanks, Lorri.