Friday, June 11, 2010

Bed In Summer

In winter I get up at night
And dress by yellow candle-light.
In summer, quite the other way,
I have to go to bed by day.

I have to go to bed and see
The birds still hopping on the tree,
Or hear the grown-up people's feet
Still going past me in the street.

And does it not seem hard to you,
When all the sky is clear and blue,
And I should like so much to play,
To have to go to bed by day?

--Robert Louis Stevenson

I was going to write this nifty little post about how when I was a child, I didn't understand why I had to go to bed while it was still light out.  My dad used to love to tell of me standing in my crib protesting, "but it's not dark yet".  About how, now that I'm grown, my work hours still necessitate me occasionally going to bed before the sun does.

But something was not right.  Something was nagging at my memory. That's when I remembered. 
I'd already done it.

Sigh.  Sometimes, I can't win for losing.

No comments: