Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Clean Bill

I took the day off of work today because it was time for my annual physical.  I figured I'd better get it while I still can.  I have a co-worker who schedules hers for after work, but I can't do that.  I can't go all day without eating, so I schedule mine for as early in the morning as I can get it.

Anyway, I was given a clean bill of health.  He put me back on my allergy medications.  I'd quit taking them back in the fall because I hadn't had time -- or rather, I hadn't taken the time --to go down to Jackson to see my allergist.  I'd had an appointment scheduled, but we were working so many 4 day weeks that I decided I needed that vacation day for one of the days the plant was shut down.  So, I called and canceled it.  The week after my appointment would have been is when they laid off all those people and put the rest of us back on 5 days.  I'd meant to reschedule, but I hadn't gotten around to it.  So, I told my Dr. the abbreviated version, and he said, "I can write those prescriptions for you."  And he did.

My insurance company said that they were not going to pay for my Allegra any more, but I'm going to keep taking it anyway.  I'll just have to pay for it myself.  I pretty much was anyway, because I'm never sick and rarely even meet my deductible.  That's the thing about private insurance.  If they say no, I can still get my medical care through another means.  When the government has completely taken over the health care system, we won't have that choice.  If the government says no, we will have to resort to black market health care, and most of us won't be able to afford that.  Ah, but that's a topic for a different post.

I did ask him about the fluttery feeling I have in my chest from time to time.  He said he thinks it may be supra ventricular tachycardia.  He wouldn't know for sure without doing some tests, but as sporadic as my episodes are, I could wear a heart monitor, and we still might not catch an episode.  But he said that as long as they aren't getting more frequent, or lasting more than a minute or two, it isn't really anything to worry about. He also told me to avoid caffeine--or cut way back on it--, stimulants, chocolate, and decongestants.  Well, three of those I can do. 

My blood pressure is good (120/70), and my blood work results will be back in a few days.  I had a snag when I went to go fill my prescriptions, though and discovered that the pharmacy I used was closed!  I mean as in shut down and moved out of the building.  I guess I'll go by Wal-greens or CVS and get my prescriptions there.  I won't get my Allegra from Wal-mart.  I don't know what they give me, but it isn't the same.  It wasn't even the same pill.  Whatever it was, it made me sooo sick every time I took it. 

I came home and watched Netflix and knitted for the rest of the day, until it was time to take Rylea for her walk.  It was sooo hot that we walked down by the creek so that she could drink and cool off.  The water looked so inviting that I took my own shoes off and went wading.  I wished that I had carried my camera, but all I had was my cell phone camera.  It does take pictures, but I don't have a plan that allows me to e-mail them.  So they stay in the phone. 

I guess I really do need to upgrade.

No comments:


Related Posts with Thumbnails