Wednesday, May 05, 2010

I'm Glad That's Over

I did get my two teeth out today, but it wasn't without incident.

See, I'd arranged with a lady from church to drive me, because she was the only one I know who doesn't work during the day.  I'd called her last night to remind her, and she said she'd pick me up a little before 9.  My appointment was at 9:30.

Since they were going to put me to sleep, I couldn't eat or drink anything after midnight.  I was so afraid I'd forget and get up and eat breakfast or drink some Dr. Pepper.  So, before I went to bed last night, I duct taped my refrigerator shut, and put a big sign on my pantry that said, DO NOT EAT!.  It worked.  I was more thirsty than hungry, but I managed to resist.

But then, a little before 9 came and went, and Miss Bessie Faye didn't show up.  I thought she must be running a little late, but she is usually a dependable person.  I waited a few more minutes and went and called her.  I got no answer, so I thought she must be on her way.  I waited a few more minutes, and she still didn't show up.  By this time, I was getting a bit worried.  She is diabetic, and has just recently had an episode with her blood sugar.

I went and called her again, still got no answer.  Just as I hung up the phone, I saw a car pull into my drive.  "There she is", I said to myself.  But it wasn't her.  It was two of her sisters.  They said, "Wasn't Bep (their nickname for her) was supposed to take you to the dentist today?"  I said that she was, but hasn't shown up yet.  They said they were getting worried about her because they hadn't heard from her this morning.  I replied that I'd just tried to call her and got no answer.  So they headed on towards her house to see what was wrong.  They thought she might be in a ditch somewhere.

I called the dentist office and told them that my ride hadn't gotten there, and if I didn't find anyone I just wanted to do it without being put to sleep.  They said that was OK, though I know I didn't really want to do it that way.  I got into my Jimmy, and on impulse, pulled out my phone and called J.  I'd thought he was at work today, but turns out, he was going to do some work with his bees.  I caught him just as he was about to leave for the bee yards.  I told him what was had happened with Miss Bessie Faye, and begged him to come to the dentist office and drive me home because I really didn't want to miss my appointment.   He agreed.  Since he was already in town, by the time he finished the errand he was doing, we got to the dentist office at about the same time.

I explained to the receptionist what had happened--that I was afraid my friend had had another spell with her blood sugar, but that I'd managed to find another ride.  So they would be able to put me to sleep anyway.  While I was waiting, Miss Bessie Faye's sister called my cell and asked me if she'd shown up.  I told her no, and she said that they still hadn't found her and had called the sheriff. 

Not long after that, the nurse called me back.  She hooked me up to all sorts of monitors,and I told her my heart would probably be racing.  She asked if I was nervous, and I replied that I was, but was also worried about my friend.  I explained to her what had happened, which was why I had the jitters so bad.  Then the doctor came in and patted me on the shoulder and asked me if I was ready to get it over with.  He sat down to start the IV, and I quipped that nurses love my veins.  I told him that only one time had anyone had trouble starting an IV, and that was when the nurse was trying to put it into the back of my hand.  She said that the vein was good, it just kept rolling on her.  That's when the doctor said, "She must not have found Big Bertha, here", patting the vein in my arm.

He put the IV into my arm.  Injected something into it.  Then he injected something else into it.  About 10 seconds later, I began to feel --well, floaty, for lack of a better term.  "Boy that stuff works fast," I said.  The next thing I knew, I was home, and J was trying to unlock my house with the wrong key.  (I keep my house keys and car keys on separate rings.)  I gave him the right key, he opened the door, then helped me stumble up the stairs and into the house, where I made a beeline for the couch.  I have no memory of walking out of the dentist's office, and only the vaguest recollection of sitting in the truck checking to see if they'd put my glasses back onto my face.

I do remember, after he'd gotten me a pillow off my bed, and covered me with an afghan, asking him to call Miss Bessie Faye's sister and check on her.  He asked if I needed anything to eat, and I said I'd stocked up on mushy foods--oatmeal, pudding, yogurt, and the like.  He asked if I had some mashed potatoes, and I replied that I had flakes.  Then he asked what kind of ice cream I liked, and I said, "I just get whatever's cheapest."  That wasn't what he meant, though.  He meant, what flavor.  He then went and got my prescriptions filled--one of which is Vicodin, and bought me chocolate ice cream and pre-made mashed potatoes.  They are Bob Evans brand, and they are good. 

He told me that he called Miss Bessie Faye's sister, and that they'd found her.  What we feared was true.  Her blood sugar had bottomed out again.  They had wanted to take her to the hospital, but she refused to go.  She was at home, but was in no condition to drive, and apparently was bad enough that she couldn't answer the phone, either.  She is OK now, but this is the second time this has happened within 5 days, and that's what is worrisome.

I am OK, too, just very sore and kind of stiff.  I have tomorrow off already, but they say the third day is the hardest, so I don't know about Friday.  I've already told my supervisor that I may or may not be there, but told my group leader not to expect me back until Monday. 

What with all the overtime we'll be getting these next few weeks, I'm leaning towards Monday myself.


StephieKnits said...

I thought and pray for you all day today. I am so glad that you are home and doing well. I will add your friend to my prayer list. Take care, rest and don't overdo.

Becky said...

Thank you Stephanie. I felt your prayers! Thank you for praying for Miss Bessie Faye, too. She is the sweetest lady. I'd be heartbroken if anything happened to her.

Opal said...

eeks! i'm glad that's over too!

does the vicodin work for you? it's so ineffective for so many people that i know, including me. it's like taking a placebo.


Related Posts with Thumbnails