Sunday, October 04, 2009

Queen Anne's Lace

I'd started a Queen Anne's Lace shawl a few months ago, but it just wasn't working out. I was using Knit Picks Alpaca Cloud in Iris Heather, but the yarn wasn't right for the pattern, and I finally just ripped the whole thing out. The yarn just seemed too thin to be knit on size 8 needles. I don't know if it was just a bad batch or what. The other colors of Alpaca Cloud that I have aren't that thin.

I cast it on again using a different yarn.


This is Knit Picks Shimmer in Cumulus--which has been discontinued. It is supposed to be the same weight of yarn, but when I wound it, you can see how much thinner the cake of the previous yarn is.


I cast on using the Belly Button cast on, introduced to me by my buddy Opal. It's a whole lot better than trying to wrestle those needles, although, since you just end up knitting a glorified i-cord, why can't you just cast on and knit an i-cord anyway? I think with my next circular shawl, I'll try it that way.

1 comment:

Opal said...

that i-cord idea sounds good. let me know how that works when you try it!

the shawl is lookin' good!