Thursday, May 23, 2024

Stormy Day

 It's been a stormy day here, in more ways than one.  I'm talking about actual thunderstorms that started sometime during the night last night. I'd already gone to bed and the thunder woke me up around 8:00 or 8:30ish.  

I got up and let the cat in, then went back to bed and slept through what appears to be quite the windstorm.  There were branches and leaves down all over the place when I headed out to work this morning.  During the day, it stormed some more and at one point it got so dark, it looked like nighttime outside. 

Those storms passed eventually, and it was sunny by the time we got off.  I briefly considered going to Walmart today instead of tomorrow to avoid the pre-holiday weekend crowds, but I was so tired I decided there was nothing I absolutely had to have that can't wait until....Tuesday or so.  I don't know.  Maybe I'll go Saturday since we do have to work that day. 

There were other storms going on, mostly in my mind because I'm still so angry over that man cutting my back yard.  This is where I'm struggling, because part of me feels I shouldn't be this angry over clover and grass,  yet I am angry.  The other part of me realizes deep down in side, it isn't about grass.  It's about someone coming onto my private property without permission and taking it upon himself to decide that my yard needed to be cut, especially the back since I'd told him last time NOT to cut it.  I mean, who does that?   

I was telling a coworker about it today and got so worked up, she put her hands up and backed away, but I just couldn't help but seething about it still.    I know I'll eventually calm down, and the clover has already started to re-grow, but for now, I'm angry and dumfounded that someone would do such a thing. 

In better news, I've got two new sunflowers blooming, both in the back yard.


I'm not sure what variety this one is.   The Seek app says it's a Mexican Sunflower, but I don't really know. 

and this one is a Red Sun sunflower.  

Oh, and now that it's got some true leaves, I can see this mystery seedling is another Cosmos.


Still no apple seedlings, but I'm not disappointed.  The site I read says they have a very low germination rate. 

So, while I was writing this post, there came a ring at my back door.   I went to answer and it was the man's aunt, who lives a couple of houses down.  She had come to tell me it was her nephew who had cut my grass.  I told her I was angry about it, and she said, "Angry?" with a look of surprise.  I explained that it wouldn't have been a problem if he'd just checked with me first, and that the reason I was angry was because there was stuff in the back that I didn't want cut, and he wouldn't have known what it was, which was why I had told him not to cut it last time.  

I said, "I don't want to sound like the neighborhood Karen, but please, please, please CHECK with me first before he does it again."  She said, "Well, he won't be back."  I said, "I appreciate the thought, but I really do enjoy taking care of my own yard," which elicited a "You do?" response from her.  I emphasized again that I appreciated that he meant well, but please check with me before he cuts it again. She repeated that he wouldn't be back, and I hope I didn't sound like a total witch about it. 

And finally, word around the plant is that they're going to completely change the whole layout again, and put it back the way it was before Nadir messed it all up five or so years ago.  That means all assembly lines will be moving back up to the front part of the plant -- with us...where it's hot.  

But ain't that the way of  that place?  They spend $12-15 million changing it all up, and now they want to change it back.  It won't happen overnight, though.  It'll take time to draw up the plans and get the funding approved, but eventually they'll put it all back. 

I'll have more on that later.  Now, I need to get something to eat, then practice my piano. 

No comments: