Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Hooting And Hollering

 Well, that's it.  Not only are we working this Saturday, but starting tomorrow, everyone in the plant has to stay until 3:00.  Oh, you should have heard the hooting and hollering that went on when Group Leader Shark told us that.  

Now, before I continue, let me just say I know how difficult it is when you have small children and they're constantly changing your work hours.  I've been there and done that, so I feel for those who are dealing with suddenly having to make new child care arrangements on such short notice.  I can remember back in the day telling a production manager that I couldn't come in at 5:00 AM because the day care Cody was in didn't open until 6:30, and that production manager shrugging and saying, "That's not my problem."

And they can't figure out why no one wants to work there.  

Even so, this is nothing new.  It happens every single year, and every single year, people act like it's the first time they've ever been asked to work overtime.  As the meeting was breaking up, I walked away muttering, "Y'all stop acting like you've never worked here before!"  Group Leader Shark heard me and said, "That's just what I was thinking."  For what it's worth, I don't like it either -- I told GLS, "I just want some consistency!"  She told me to keep dreaming -- but we ought to be accustomed to it by now.   The bright side is, we're now going in at 5:00 instead of 4:00.  I like that part of it -- not having to get up at 2:30.  

By the way, neither of the two new girls were there today.  We can't wait to see how they act when they find out they've got to stay until 3:00.  They've got to be close to pointing out already.  

When I got home, I decided it was time to take the last four seedlings from my mini greenhouse tray and put them into intermediate pots until I decide what to do with them.  And to see if they survive.  I've put them into the cage with Marty Mac for the time being.  


I had also planted a second variety of Cosmos called Dwarf Cutsey, but this is the only one that germinated. 


It got moved into its permanent home, which is the pot once inhabited by my now deceased purple basil. 


I was going to try out my new microphones this afternoon, but a pretty good storm rolled through, so that'll have to wait.  

I'm a bit bummed that we have to work Saturday, because the local farmer's market opens that day.  I was going to get Brennan some more of that salsa she's been going on and on about.  I hope we get at least one more Saturday off while the farmer's market is still going on so I can also get some fresh, locally grown tomatoes.  I loves me some 'mater sammiches. 

And finally, I reactivated my BritBox account -- at least temporarily.  I have three seasons of Vera to catch up on.  

No comments: