Tuesday, April 25, 2023

And Now For Some Good News

I took today off of work to get stuff done, and what did I get done? Not much -- other than laying in bed bed past 4:30 AM, I mean.  Other than that...

Really, I took the day off for my follow up doctor appointment to see if the Crestor was working, and ...we'll get to that in a moment.  First, a little background for those of you who may be new here, or those of you with memories like mine.  If you already know the story, you can skip these next few paragraphs.  

For the last 15 years or so, out at work we've had to do health screenings for our insurance.  They an optional, but if you do them, you get to pay a lower premium on you insurance.  One of the things they checked was cholesterol levels.  Mine have always been high, but I was kind of getting mixed messages about it. 

The nurse doing the screening would tell me I needed to be on medication, but when I went in for my next physical, my doctor would just say, "It's a little high.  Let's just keep an eye on it."  The next year when I did my screening at work, the nurse would tell me I needed to be on medication, and I'd reply, "Well, my doctor doesn't seem that concerned about it."  

That's part of what prompted me to choose a different doctor when I decided to get proactive about my health back in January. 

It was after my brother had his heart attack in 2018 that I decided I needed to start taking this stuff seriously.  I wanted to try to lower it naturally, so I tried all the stuff.  I cut back on sugar, tried to exercise more, even lost a bit of weight (most of which I've gained back) -- all the stuff you can read about on the internet.  I mean, changes in diet.  Eating more oatmeal and walnuts, and healthy fats like in avocadoes, and the like.  None of this kookoo bird stuff.  

I'd go in for a screening and my numbers would have improved and I'd think, "Yay!  I'm doing well!" But then the next year, they'd have gotten worse.  It was last fall I finally decided I just couldn't do it on my own.  It was time to go to the doctor.  

I waited until after the holidays, then made my appointment.  It was during that appointment, he prescribed Crestor.  And today was the day I went back in for my follow up.  

I must step a bit outside my story right now to tell you he did fuss at me for canceling my colonoscopy, and said if I didn't get one before my next follow up in October, he'd really fuss.  

And now back to the main event.  I did mention about how sore my hands are getting, and he said that's pretty normal.  He recommended the CoQ-10, and said it seems to help.  He also said he'd do a test when they did my blood work to see if the Crestor was causing muscle damage.  That one came back normal, so the soreness is just something I'm going to have to live with.  Although it does seem to be lessening as time goes on, so maybe it'll get better eventually. 

OK, OK, I know you've all been waiting with baited breath to see my numbers.  *insert eye-roll here* So, without further ado, here you go.


I don't know about you, but I'm pretty chuffed about that.  Especially my triglycerides.  Those were the numbers I never could seem to get ahold of.

The plan was after my doctor appointment, I would run by Walmart and pick up some plants for my front flower bed, and though I did go browse a bit, I ended up not getting any.  Maybe I'll pick up some Vincas or something when I go in for my regular shopping trip on Friday.  Today, I was so hungry by the time I got there -- fasting for my blood work, you know -- all I wanted to do is come home and eat something.  And that, Gentle Reader, is exactly what I did.  

I'd made some chicken salad yesterday evening, and used some of the wild onion from my back yard to season it.  I'd originally dug four, but only used two, because they seemed to be quite a bit stronger than the ones you buy in the store.  It was quite delicious, that chicken salad was.  

What I didn't do was boil down the carcass and make broth.  I've got so much chicken broth anyway, plus two more carcasses in the freezer that I need to use up, I just didn't feel like fooling with it, so I tossed that one. 

Despite having the rest of the day to myself, the only thing I really got done was to move these 4 X 4s back into the old chicken coops. 


I'd put them beside the shed to stack my firewood on, but since my firewood guy ghosted me, I figured I didn't need them any more.  I'm probably going to cut that blackberry bush down, and I don't know what else I'm going to do here.  Maybe I'll just let the clover spread to fill it up. 

I spent the rest of the day watching documentaries and Time Team episodes and knitting.  I got this far on my latest hat


before I ran out of yarn.  As luck would have it, the skein I joined just happened to also be in a stretch of black, so the join was pretty seamless. 


I guess that's about it for today.  I think I'll go take a quick shower then find a movie to watch or something.  Oh, speaking of movies, I watched The Book Thief last weekend.  If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it.  

You'll need tissues.  

Consider yourself warned. 

No comments: