Tuesday, November 01, 2022

A Month Of Thankfulness


It is November, and for those of us in the U.S. this is the month during which we celebrate Thanksgiving.  Lots of people like to lead up to the day by mentioning one thing every day that they are thankful for. 

Others think this is nonsense.  "I'm thankful every day.  I don't need a holiday to remember it" they sulkily grouse.  Those people are wrong.

How many times in the Old Testament does God command the children of Israel to set aside a day to remember a significant event?  How many times does he tell them to keep these days holy?  It's where the very word holiday comes from.  

Holy Day

A day to remember.  And if God says to do it, that's good enough for me.  

I can't promise I'm going to do this every single day this month, but I'm going to give it the old college try.  Some days it will be a big thing, other days, it'll be the ordinary, everyday things that make life worth living. 

Today, I am thankful for....functional plumbing.

Seriously.  For the first time since I moved into this house, I have fully functioning plumbing.  See, the main sewer line had collapsed even before I moved in, but the seller didn't seem to feel the need to mention that to me. It wasn't until water began coming out from underneath my toilets flooding my bathrooms that I suspected something was wrong. 

I had all that sewer line replaced, and of course, that plumber ripped me off by not replacing ALL the bad pipe.  Of course, I didn't know it at the time.  I had no idea he'd left such a large gap which was filling my sewer line with mud.  I thought my problems were just part of the game.  

All the overflowing toilets -- I just blamed myself for using too much TP, or accidentally flushing too many wet wipes.  The slow draining showers -- I blamed my hair and bought so much Drano I should have bought stock in the company.  

If that toilet hadn't overflowed and flooded the whole back of my house the day Cody and Brennan came to take me to the oral surgeon, I might have never seriously looked into the problem.  But it did, and I did, and it took a couple of tries, but I found an honest plumber who got it fixed, and fixed right. 

Joe Don McCrary, for you local folks.  If you need a plumber, give him a call at 662-809-8697.  

Oh, and don't forget that bathroom sink that I blew out with my Drain King so it actually drains  -- which I strongly suspect was clogged by something being shoved into the drain line during one of the overflow events.  It's finally right, too.  After all this time...

Now if I can only resist the urge to constantly check my cleanout...


P.S. If you're really interested and want to read all the gory details, you can click on the Plumbing Woes link at the bottom of this post.  

No comments: