Sunday, November 06, 2022

Thankful

 Thank you to all of you for your kind words for my dog.  It means a lot. Pets really do become part of the family, and it's always hard to lose one. We know it's going to happen, but it still somehow takes us off guard. 

With Jesse, it was so sudden, too.  He was fine one minute, then suddenly he started stumbling and drooling and dry heaving and acting so odd, I tossed him into the car (not literally) and rushed him down to the vet's office.  As soon as the vet walked in and saw Jesse, I saw the look on the Dr's face, and we both knew.  He said it was some kind of neurological issue.  The vet used a big long word, but said it was like a form of doggie dementia.  I wonder if Jesse had had some sort of stroke, due to how suddenly it came on.  

Either way, there was nothing to be done for him.  Dr said, "Sometimes the right decision isn't the easy one."  

He also told me that he'd sometimes waited too long to make that call with his own dogs.  "And I'm supposed to be the expert, but it's a different story when it's your dog."  It's a different story when it's your heart that's breaking.  So, I signed the paper.  He gave Jesse the injection.  And I came home alone.  

All the things I'd planned on blogging about suddenly didn't seem so important.  

This does feel kind of weird.  I mean, except for those few years when I was in the Navy, this is the first time since I was 15 that I haven't had a dog.  I'm not planning on getting another one, either.  Maybe after I retire, but for right now, it's just not fair to the dog.  Sometimes working up to 12 hours a day, then when I come home, he wants attention because he's been alone all day, but all I want to do is sit and rest.  It led to much fussing between Jesse and I, and I don't want to put another dog through that.  

Maybe I should get some more cats and become a crazy cat lady, since being a crazy kraken lady just isn't financially feasible in these difficult times. 

Anyway, what I was going to talk about before ...all of that... is that hooray for me!  I've finally joined the 20th century!  How so?  I got a phone holder for my car!  


I probably won't use it all that much, but it'll be good for when I need to follow directions on Maps or something.  It is fully adjustable, which would have come in handy when I was coming back from Memphis last month and had to listen to the Navy game, but couldn't watch it. Not that I would have while I was driving...

It fits into the CD slot, which I never use, but the downside to that is, if I don't have the phone in the holder, it rattles something fierce.  

Or maybe that was just because I was speeding down a gravel road to get my dog to the vet...

I also ordered an outlet with USB ports, for when Cody and Brennan come to visit.  


This way, they won't have to hunt for a wall block, and I won't have to lose and outlet just to plug one in.   And I do plug things in there myself from time to time.  

Yes, those outlets were upside down.  There were only two outlets in the whole house that were like that, and they'd bugged me ever since I moved in.  I finally decided to do something about it, so yesterday, I cut the breaker off and turned that one right side up.  It wasn't too hard.  I just had to unscrew it and turn it around, then screw it back in.  I didn't do the other one, because it has things plugged in that I never unplug, so it's not as unsettling.  

Well, I guess this is long enough, so I'll tell you all the other useless stuff I was going to say another time.  But, just so this post isn't a total waste of your time, here is the scarf I'm working on right now. 

It's an adaptation of the Irish Hiking Scarf.  I added two more pattern repeats to make it just a bit wider.  I'm knitting it in Knit Picks Brava, which has got to be the softest acrylic I've ever seen.  It's a pretty easy pattern, but I had to set it down for a few minutes yesterday to watch LSU turn the Crimson Tide into the Pink Puddle.  That game finished just in time for me to turn over and watch the last inning of the Astros winning the World Series. 

Texas won, too.  Even though Navy lost, it was still a good day for sports. 

Oh, and one more thing.  Since I missed yesterday's moment of thankfulness, I am thankful for the rain we got. 

And today's moment of thankfulness is for everyone who took the time to offer condolences.  It means more than you know. 

No comments: