Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Snow Day Part 2

 I'd spent all day yesterday debating about whether I should try to go to work today.  I didn't want to miss work, but the roads are still very slick and covered with a snow/sleet mixture. Fortunately, that decision was taken out of my hands.  I called the plant call-in line last night, and they'd closed for the day.  That really surprised me, as they don't usually care a whit about their employees' safety or health. 

So what did I do on my unexpected day off?  I sat huddled under a blanket watching TV and knitting.  That's what I did.  

Oh, and all that firewood I bought a couple of weeks ago?  Yeah, it's all green.  I can practically hear it sizzling when I put it into my stove.   I've managed to coax it into burning by using my hair dryer as a bellows, but it's been tough going. I'm just glad I haven't lost electricity, or I'd be in a real fix.  I'm not too worried about myself, as I've got plenty of blankets, and I still have that camp stove I could use to make hot drinks and stuff, but I'm not too sure how my snakes would fare.  As long as I can keep it above freezing in the house, they'll survive.  But they are all old, and it would be hard on them.  

We were expecting record low temperatures -- they'd even forecast us down to 3' at one time.  It didn't get down quite that cold, but this was close enough for my taste.  


One of the meteorologists I follow on FB posted a map showing the snow coverage today.  


Every state except Georgia, South Carolina, and Florida have at least a little snow on the ground.  Even Hawaii, as Mauna Kea is snow capped today.  You have to look closely at North Carolina, but they do have a couple of counties with snowfall.  

As I said, I stayed inside under a blanket for most of the day, but I did venture out to throw some more birdseed out.  I'm not even bothering with the feeders.  I'm just scattering it on top of the snow.  


And me, I had fun identifying the tracks in the snow.  Most of them were birds,



but I did see the ubiquitous squirrel tracks.  



We've got more snow headed our way tomorrow, but it's not supposed to get quite so cold.  I've already called the call-in line, and the plant will be shut down for at least one more day.  I'm hoping tomorrow, we get enough of the good snow I can make snow ice cream.  

I've already got my bowl washed and ready.  

Just in case.  





 

No comments: