Tuesday, October 08, 2024

Milton

 All eyes are on Milton as he makes his way across the Gulf.  


He is an absolute monster.   As of this writing, he's still a Cat 5, but is expected to weaken a bit before making landfall.  The good news is, he's not expected to hit the same area that Helene hit -- but you never know for sure.  Weather is ultimately unpredictable, which is what makes it so exciting.  I'm not going to drone on and on about the details; there are professional meteorologists for that.  But I will tell you one thing -- 

Here's how you know it's going to be bad:  This is the Waffle House closure map.  


You know it's bad when the Waffle House closes!. 

In better news, we're finally getting a taste of fall here in the Fine Martial Household. 


Yesterday when I got off work, I went straight to the gas station and filled up both my car and the gas can I'd put in there Sunday.  I hadn't intended to mow as soon as I got home, but it wasn't too terribly hot, and I told myself, "You know if you go inside and sit down, you'll never get back up."  

So, I got out and mowed the front and side yards and hardly broke a sweat.  I came inside and sat down to watch an episode of Sister Wives, then the Cowboys ball game, which I missed Sunday night due to a lightning delay.  I got to halftime, and decided to pause the recording and take a shower.  But first, I went into the kitchen to fill up my water cup and put it into the refrigerator.  I turned on the water and...nothing.  No water. 

I quickly jumped onto the water company's FB page, and yep, they had it turned off to work on something.  It should be back on in about an hour, said the page.  I went back into the living room and unpaused the game.  

After about an hour, I checked again and still no water.  I finished the ball game, practiced my piano, then watched an episode of Land Of The Lost. 

Long story less long, the water didn't come back on until after 8:00 PM, and even then the pressure was low.  Still, I needed a shower, so I took a quick one even with low pressure, then went straight to bed -- only about 30 minutes later than I normally turn the light off.  And that was my excitement for the day. 

All that to say, after all that, I just didn't feel like blogging, even though I had stuff to blog about.  Like the big meeting we had at work last week that I keep forgetting to tell you about.  There isn't much to tell anyway.  They said the reason we're still working so much overtime this late in the year is because they're phasing out the R-410 refrigerant and the coils that use it.  A few weeks ago, the company put out a last call for customers to order the old units before we stop making them completely. 

Since then, we've been swamped with orders from customers wanting to stock up on the old units, and thus, we will be working overtime through the rest of the year, and on into next peak season.   The good news is, I might be able to save up enough to get some necessary work done on this house -- if I can find someone I can trust to do said work.  I've been blown off or ripped off way too many times for that. 

OK, moving right along... Sunday morning I recorded a brief vlog for you.  

One day, I'm going to get better organized and record something actually interesting for a change. 

This is not that recording. 

And finally, I'm thinking about changing the name of my blog.  I no longer draw, because I can't see well enough, so no more fine arts.  I no longer do martial arts, because sensei closed the dojo during the last recession, so no more martial arts. 

The only thing I still do is fiber arts, and those are mostly charity hats, which I'm sure get boring after a while.  The name just doesn't seem to fit any more.  Even the reader who suggested the name no longer comes here, and has unfriended me on Facebook as well.   We'll see...

On a similar note, I'm almost done with my incognito knitting, so you'll soon see more boring charity hats.  I guess I'd better get to it, then. 

Laters. 

No comments: