Friday, October 11, 2024

Auroras

I knew that there had been another solar flare which caused a geomagnetic storm significant enough to produce auroras.  I just didn't think they were supposed to be visible this far South, so I didn't pay that much attention to it.  

So there I was, sitting in my living room watching Crime Scene Kitchen, when suddenly my social media feeds were flooded with photos of Northern Lights, and when I saw one post saying they were visible in Biloxi, I grabbed my phone and headed outside. 

Looking to the northwest, I saw a faint glow, and began snapping photos. 


Knowing that auroras fluctuate, I went back inside, but came out to check on them every few moments.  It was during one of those moments, I finally figured out how to set my phone's camera to a longer exposure and got some much brighter photos. 


Shortly after 9:00 PM, when I knew the lights would be at their peak, I stepped back outside and saw them glowing pretty brightly behind the trees.  


"If only those trees weren't in the way!" I said to myself in frustration.  Then I remembered...they'd cleared a bunch of the trees behind the house, so I walked through the woods to the empty field...

and the heavens declared the glory of God and the skies proclaimed his handiwork. 


After that, there just doesn't seem anything left to say. 

No comments: