Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Never Dull

As some of my readers have mentioned, things are never dull out at the factory, and today was no exception.  It all started...well, during the night last night when I couldn't sleep.  I had a bad case of the sweats, and simply could not get cool, even with the ceiling fan on full blast and the window unit running -- not to mention the central air unit.

I found out why this morning when I got up to begin getting ready for work and discovered...I'd had the window unit set to fan instead of cool.  Sigh...I guarantee that won't happen tonight. 

I get to work only to find out that I'd been so focused on getting my ice machine yesterday that I'd totally missed two -- yes two-- fights in the plant.  

OK, I didn't totally miss them.  I had an inkling that something was going on when I saw two of the supervisors taking some people up to the front office, but I'd written it off as someone falling out again.  That happens a lot this time of year.  I'd also heard whispers of the other one.  I knew something had gone on but didn't know all the details, and today I found out.   And what happened is as follows. 

It would seem that the Scrap Witch had gotten a group leader (in another department) written up because one of her employees was messing up some parts, only the group leader said it wasn't his fault.  She even called maintenance out and they looked at the machine and confirmed it was "jumping off" -- whatever that means.  What it boils down to is that it was the machine's fault, not the employee's, but even so, Scrap Witch refused to remove the write up from that group leader, so the group leader went off on Scrap Witch and walked out. She didn't come back today, and we were all wondering if she'd quit.  I guess we'll find out. 

You know who did quit, though?  The brazer I call Mouth.  She supposedly got another job and had put her notice in last week.  Can't say I'm going to miss her and her attitude.  I can say the department was a whole lot quieter today without her, but it wasn't without excitement. 

Yes, it was hot in the plant -- up to 94° before the storms rolled through.  I can neither confirm nor deny that someone who may or may not have been me snuck something that gives every appearance of being an insulated tumbler into the plant. 

The person who may or may not have been me figured if Not Cuz -- whose new blog nickname will from here on out be Junior --can walk around drinking from an insulated mug, so can ...other people.  

Why Junior?  If you know Not Cuz, and have ever seen Hee Haw, you'll get it.  

It was so hot, my crazy coworker made her t-shirt into a halter top, 

about which Group Leader Shark said, "Not even Demi-god wants to see that!"  

It was so hot, one of the brazers fell out, and we rushed her up to First Aid and Group Leader Shark knocked on the door, only nobody was there.  So she rang the emergency bell outside HR, and nobody was there, either.  I was already headed back to tubing -- having returned the wheelchair to its proper place and put the cover back onto it -- when I heard them page Uncle Supervisor, because all the supervisors have a key to the first aid room which they had to start locking because too many people were stealing the first aid supplies.  

Shortly after that, the word came back that they'd had to call the ambulance.  I quipped that those ambulance drivers have got to be getting frequent flyer miles for all the times that they've had to come out to the plant these last couple of weeks.  

And as if all that weren't enough, just as the shift ended, a massive thunderstorm rolled through and we were all running -- and I'm using that term very loosely -- through the parking lot in a driving rainstorm.  I got thoroughly soaked, so I came home and took a hot shower straight away. 

Now I'm ready to settle in with some knitting and a bit of TV watching.  

Laters. 

No comments: