Monday, February 20, 2023

I Lied

I lied to you the other day. I didn’t mean to, but I did.

Remember the other day when I showed you this photo, 


and told you the larger, blue headband was knit on size 9 needles and the smaller one was knit on size 8?  Yeah, that was a lie.  I'd said that because the needles I used for the larger one were in my size 9 bag, so I just assumed I'd put them back into the right bag.  Turns out, I should have double checked, because they weren't.  

I'd bought a new, longer size 8 needle and cast on a new headband with it, thinking it would be the smaller one.  When I finished it -- finally -- 


it was the same size as the larger headbands.  What?  

I dug out my needle gauge and ...yep, the ones I thought were size 9 were actually size 8.  Sigh....

I switched out the tips with some I knew for a fact were size 7s and cast on another headband. 


By that time, I was so fed up, I tossed it aside and cast on a hat. 


A comforting, familiar hat...

I was asked by a friend to model the headbands I'd made, but first, I want you to go over to the Knitty website, and look at the person modeling the Calorimetry headband on the original pattern.  Now, keep in mind that the ones I knit are slightly smaller than the gauge she came up with, but look, they are still gigantic on my head. This is the larger size, which is about 2" shorter than what she said the finished product should be. 



Even the smaller one is huge on my head.  


After even the smaller one came out huge, I poked around a few knitting websites to see what other people had to say, and they were having the same problems as I was. Most agreed that a 92 stitch cast on was best, so I'm going to rip the most recent one that I cast on and start over with that.  If it works out, I'll rip and re-do them all.  Of course, I'll keep you updated. 

BTW, I didn't have the buttons sewn on yet, so I'm having to hold it in place with my hand. 

In other news, what with all the rain we've had lately, I noticed that the pole I have my bird feeder hung on was leaning.  I got to looking, and this is a 7.5' pole, but it was quite a ways over my head.  This afternoon, I went ahead and pulled it up out of the ground.  Sure enough, they only had it 18" deep. 


I'm debating on whether to dig the hole deeper and re-set it, or just find somewhere else to hang my bird feeder.  After seeing how sore I got when digging up my sewer line, I'm thinking the latter. 

Eve has a boo boo leg.  I don't know what she did to it, but it's swollen and she's not putting any weight on it.  I didn't see any sign of injury, or anything like she'd been bitten by something, so I don't know what's going on with her. I set her steps beside this chair to make it easier for her to get up into it, but this is as far as she got. 


Fortunately, she does have a bed on the floor, so she doesn't have to  jump if she doesn't want to. I'll keep an eye on her, and if it doesn't get better in a few days, I'll take her to the vet. 

And finally, for those of you longing for spring, it's here.  


Oh, I'm sure we'll still have a cold spell or two, but spring is definitely on the way. 


 

1 comment:

Amnicon Studio said...

Oh man, I totally forgot about the Calorimetry , or however it's spelled.

Poor kitteh. :-(

I love seeing all the colors of your hats.