Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Book Review And Cat Update

Yep, she is still a bit gimpy, but seems less moany, if you know what I mean.  Before I left for work this morning, I put her steps beside my bed.  As soon as she found them, up she went, and that is where she's spent most of the day.  


Kindly ignore the semi-made bed.  

She comes down every so often to eat and get a drink of water, but mostly she sleeps.  That's best for her right now.  She did want to go outside when I got home this afternoon, so I let her out into the back yard.  I didn't let her actually go anywhere, but she enjoyed laying in the leaves and stuff.  

The minute she looked like she was going to wander a bit, I put her back inside.  She didn't like it, but that's the way it goes until she's all healed up.  

Now for the book review. 


As a lethal plague sweeps through the land, Ani Mells is shocked when she is unexpectedly captured by the governor’s wardens and forced to submit to a test for the deadly Scourge. She is even more surprised when the test results come back positive, and she is sent to Attic Island, a former prison turned refuge—and quarantine colony—for the ill. The Scourge’s victims, Ani now among them, can only expect to live out short, painful lives there. However, Ani quickly discovers that she doesn’t know the whole truth about the Scourge or the Colony. She’s been caught in a devious plot, and, with the help of her best friend, Weevil, Ani means to uncover just what is actually going on. But will she and Weevil survive long enough to do so?

 I finished The Scourge, and for what it's worth, it was a typical young adult dystopian novel.  They tend to be as formulaic as a Hallmark movie, and this one was no different.   The whole world -- or in this case, the country of Keldan -- is falling apart and only one whiny, self absorbed, hard headed, and in this case, downright stupid teenage girl can save it.  I mean, it's been going on for a while, this plague, but nobody has managed to catch on to what's behind it, until Ani gets to the Colony.  She manages to figure it out in a mere two days.   And you expect me to believe that out of all the grown men on the island, not one of them figured out that they could move the treadmill into the river and make a water wheel out of it, but Ani comes up with that within seconds?  

Yeah, I'm not buying that. 

Some dystopian novels can be really well written.  Others aren't worth the paper they're written on.  This one was somewhere in between.  It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't great, either.  It was sort of meh.  I'm glad I got it on a daily deal, because I'd have hated paying full price for it.  As it is, it was worth $1.99, but not a penny more. 

I'm still debating on what to read next, but when I decide, I'll be sure to let you know. 

No comments: