Saturday, February 18, 2023

Hold On To Your Butts

 It's about to get rough out there, and for once, I'm not talking about the weather. So, what am I talking about?  Well, I'll tell you. 

When the economy enters a recession, one of the first places you feel it is in the housing market, to which my job is closely tied.  During the last recession, we were already cut back to 32 hour work weeks before most people even noticed things had slowed down.  It would be nine full years before we were able to work a full year without having to cut back to 4 day work weeks for at least part of the year.   That is where I got into the habit of saving my vacation days for the Fall slowdown -- in case it slows too far down.  But what does that have to do with us, here and now?  

We had a layoff at work yesterday. 

A layoff.  In the Spring.  When we're normally ramping up for our busy season, this year, we're laying off.  We've been through some rough times before, but in 28 years, I've never seen them lay off in the spring.  One of my coworkers has already said she's going to have to cut off her DirecTV so she can afford her rent.  I'm not quite to that point yet, but if it comes to it, Hulu is going first, followed by Prime.  I can even cut my internet completely off if I have to, and just use the data from my phone.  I've been considering doing that anyway, because it seems kind of redundant to have both. 

Stock up on the beans and rice, is all I've got to say.  Get your hunting and fishing licenses and plant a vegetable garden. 

Speaking of planting...

You know what they say the definition of insanity is -- doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.  I must be insane, because yes, I bought more bluebonnet seeds. 


I don't know why.  I can't seem to get them to grow for anything.  I've planted them in the fall, in the spring, I've boiled the seeds, I've scuffed them with a file, I've even frozen them, and still...I'll get a few every once in a while, but as for establishing a stand, I've never had any luck. 

However, on the advice of a friend, I decided to try freezing them in ice cubes.  Again.  I've done this before with no luck, but apparently, I'm insane.  

I got out my spare trays --  maybe them being stars will put some good mojo onto my seeds-- and froze two to three seeds in each one.  


He said to leave them in the freezer two to three weeks, then toss them out where I want to establish my stand.  I'm thinking that maybe my problem is that the ground is too soggy where I've been trying to plant them, so I'm going to put these in a couple of different spots.  One tray's worth, I'm going to  put on the East side of the house, and the rest, I'm going to put in the back corner of my back yard near where I had that big tree cut down.  We'll see, and I'll be sure to keep you updated. 

I'm actually thinking about putting in some tomato plants this year as well.  I'd love to grow a whole vegetable garden, but I just don't have that much garden mojo.  I might be able to keep up with a couple of tomatoes, though.   And I love me a good ol' 'mater sammich. 

Now, for a bit of good news.  I finally finished this hat!


It is now safely tucked away in the drawer, waiting to be sent to the Seaman's Church Ministry.  I haven't cast on another hat yet, because I'm going to work on more headbands first.  Speaking of, just quick note on the Red Heart Fall...I'd bought some years ago when it first came out, and I'm telling you, this latest skein is so much softer than it used to be.  

And finally, it was 28 this morning when I got up, so I splurged and lit a fire.  The firewood guy was supposed to come today or tomorrow, but he may be delayed by how much rain we've had this week  which is understandable.    

Still, I'll feel much better when I've got a full load of firewood in my back pocket -- so to speak.  


UPDATE:  I just heard from the firewood guy, and I was right.  The rain and mud has slowed him down, but he is still working on my wood.  

1 comment:

Amnicon Studio said...

I did read this post when your wrote it. I can't believe I didn't remember it, and then sent you all that information. That's been my brain lately.

In any case, good luck!