Friday, April 10, 2020

Still Numb

I can't believe my dear Suzie is gone. 


I still halfway expect to see one of her clever and witty posts every time I get on Facebook, then it hits me like a ton of bricks.   She never wanted the accolades, but she was truly one of my heroes.  If I had to go through all the crap she did, I think I'd have given up and hidden in the closet long ago.  But she endured it all with strength, humor, and a deep, unshakable faith in God.   And she was the best enabler that ever enabled. 

She left a big, big hole in my heart. 

I know she wouldn't want any of us to wallow in pity for her, though, so the best tribute we can give is to keep on living our lives to the fullest.  She'd love that.

Today was an absolutely gorgeous, if somewhat chilly day.   Since I didn't have to work, and didn't have to go to the store, I got out and worked in my front flower bed a bit. 

Well, I really got out to take a picture of my little bluebonnet,


but found I couldn't stay in the house. 

I check on my bluebonnets every day, and every day, I notice how many weeds there are.  And every day I say to myself, "Self, you really need to get out here and weed this bed before they get out of hand."  This afternoon, I did just that.


I had some leftover plastic garden edging in the shed.  It wasn't really leftover.  I'd bought it to make a raised bed, which I never got around to doing.  I got it out and made a separate bed for my bluebonnets -- so I don't forget they're there and pull them up, thinking they're weeds.

This little guy got somewhat disturbed when I pulled up the Creeping Charlie growing around his roots.  I didn't totally uproot him, so hopefully, he'll be OK.


These other ones are starting to open up as well. 


I hope they don't drown in all this rain we're getting.

While I was out there, I transplanted this garden mum from its pot into the --well, into the garden.


I'd thought it was dead, but I see some signs of life at the bottom.  Maybe it'll bloom this fall.  We shall see.  This other one I planted last fall. 


I'm not sure why I put it into the flower bed instead of a pot, but there it is...

As soon as all this quarantine mess is over, I'm going to buy a whole mess of flowers and plant them.  OK, really, just a few.  Probably just Vincas this time.  I don't know.  I'll decide later.


By the way, if you're stuck at home and bored, my online piano teacher Tim is doing live streaming lessons on his YouTube page:  Piano Lessons On The Web.  They're totally free, and he does them every weekday.  I don't get to watch them, due to being essential (that means I have to go to work), so I'm watching after the face. 

I've thought about live streaming a piano practice myself.  Would you be interested in something like that?


2 comments:

Didi/Diane said...

You’re absolutely right. She wouldn’t want accolades, keening, rending of clothing ... but she would want funny stories, tales of knitting glory and awesome projects, and pictures of cute baby animals.

And reasonable amounts of sassy humor.

Always sassy humor.

Sandi said...

Hi Becky, this is Sue's sister Sandi. I found your blog through Sue's IG account and just wanted to say how much your friendship meant to Sue. She talked about you often, and considered you one of her true friends. I know you'll miss her as we do, but I hope it's a comfort to you that she was able to come home for a few days from this last long hospital stay. She was so happy to be home, working on little card making projects, cuddling her hamster and just enjoying finally being out of the hospital. Thank you so much for being such a good friend to her. God Bless. ❤