Wednesday, July 12, 2017

It's Hot

My dad was the original weather-holic, long before the Weather channel made geeks of us all.  Oh, he had all the stuff -- a barometer, rain guage, wind speed thing, and this cool little thermometer that recorded the high and low temps for the day.  Every day when he got home from work, the first thing he'd do was to grab his little notebook and go out and record the weather conditions for the day.  It should come as no surprise that I inherited some of his fondness for weather.

I'm not a total weather geek, but I do keep up with what's going on in the meteorological world.  

Yesterday, one of my Facebook friends clued me in to this cute little weather app called What The Forecast?.   It gives you some...um, rather interesting takes on the weather.  Like today's conditions, for instance.


The really sad part is how accurate that description was -- Dagobah misspelling aside.  Let me tell you, it's hot.   This morning at work, I tried to check the weather, but couldn't get a signal.  I got this little message on my app.


Then it showed the weather in Hell


Or as we say in the South, outside


Case in point, I got home from work and was going to mow and weedeat.  I checked my weather app and the heat index was 101'. 

Yeah, that's not going to happen.

Along about 7:00 PM, it had cooled down to a heat index of only 96', so said mowing finally happened.  I got the front and side yards done.  It's amazing how much better it goes with a nice, sharp blade.  Then I got the old weedeater out and trimmed until I ran into that universally recognized signal that it's time to quit:  I ran out of gas.

Hey, it works for me.

You know how they say there is always, always, always something to be thankful for?  I think we can all agree that we are thankful for one man named Willis Carrier.  Why?  He invented the modern air conditioner. 

You can keep your Superman, X-Men, and sports stars.  Willis Carrier is my hero. 

Can I get an AMEN?????






No comments: