Friday, February 03, 2017

It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like

Spring!

Yeah, I know, I know.  It's still winter, and will be for some time yet, but spring is coming. 

I saw some daffodils blooming on the way home from work yesterday.   When I went to Wal-mart this evening, they are busy getting their garden center ready.  I feel like a kid with my nose pressed against the window of the toy store.  Only it's the plant store.  Watching.  Waiting...

Waiting for them to put the plants out. 

The nice thing about dealing with annuals is that I can try new things every year.  This year, it will be these. 


I've never grown freesias before, so this will be an adventure. 

I think I'm going to have to replace my gardenias that I planted last year.  I'm pretty sure I killed them with wasp spray in my never ending battle with those demons from Hell.  Now that, hopefully, I've got those holes plugged up, I won't be dealing with wasps this summer, and I won't be killing my plants with insecticide.   If, though, the wasps find a way back into that area, I'll deal with them first, so that I don't inadvertently kill more gardenias.

When I'm finally ready to plant again, I'm definitely going to do a better job of prepping the soil.  Last year, when I bought the gardenias, I had no idea I'd be planting them in a rock pile.  Next time, I'm going to dig good sized holes, sift all the rocks out, and add topsoil to that area.

The people who lived here before loved rocks.  I'm not kidding.  They are everywhere.  A couple of weeks ago, when I was moving my spider lilies, guess what I found.  That's right.  Rocks.  Out in the middle of the yard where no rocks ought to be. 

But there they were.  I'm beginning to think I should name my home Rockytop. 

Even though I'm not in Tennessee. 


No comments: