Monday, August 31, 2015

It's Mine!

We closed on my new house today.  It's mine!

Well, technically, it belongs to the bank for the next 30 years, but let's not quibble over details.

I met the lady who was selling it.  She seems like a really sweet person.  Her husband had passed away a couple of years ago, and she'd been living alone in the house ever since.  She decided it was time to move closer to her children.  She is moving to a town just a few miles up the road, near where one of her sons lives.  She teared up a little when she was talking about how difficult it was to leave the house she'd been living in for 30 something years, and the house she'd raised her children in.  I assured her I would take good care of the house.  

I went ahead and took the day off of work, since I didn't know what time we would close.  First thing I did was to sleep in -- if you can call waking up at 6:30 as sleeping in.  Before it got hot, I got out and dug up my spider lily bulbs out of my front flower beds.  I got nearly a 5 gallon bucket full, and I didn't even get them all.  If we had closed earlier in the day, I was going to go over and start planting them, but it was late afternoon before we got done. 

Oh, I still could have done it, but I didn't.  I was going to come home and start hauling stuff over to the new house, too, but I didn't.  I swanee, the older I've gotten, the less I like to get out.  Once it hits 6 PM, I'm in for the night, and ready for bed. 

Anyway, after I finished digging up bulbs, I came inside and cleaned out a couple of kitchen cabinets.  I found an old set of plates my ex mother in law had given me.  They are the decorative kind, not the eating off of kind.  I had mentioned once that I loved Canada Geese, and she found those plates and bought them for me.  I'd never hung them up in this house, because I didn't really have a good place to display them.  I will get them cleaned up and back on the wall in my new house, though.  Point is, I was going to take a picture and show you, but my card reader broke.  The USB port came disconnected.  I tried to hook my camera up directly to my computer, but it keeps saying it doesn't recognize it, or something like that. 

Windows 10 is crap, by the way.  Just thought I'd throw that out there.

While I was piddling around in the house, I heard the familiar sound of helicopters approaching.  I ran outside, and soon spotted them.  There were four Apache helicopters, flying so low I could wave at the pilots.  Seriously, they were barely above the tree tops.  That is one thing I'm really going to miss when I move away from here.  I always loved watching the Army and Air National Guard flying over the house. 

Some 20 years ago, when I was moving into my first trailer house, a congressman died of cancer.  Several senators and congressmen flew in for the funeral, and they flew in on Air Force One.  Only it wasn't, because the president wasn't on board, but it was one of his planes.  Several more flew in in the vice president's plane.  James and Cody went for a tour of it, but I didn't go.  I was grubby from digging in the yard.  I think I was digging the trench to run my electrical lines, but I'm not sure.  It was a long time ago.  

All good things must come to an end, and so it is with my day off.  I'm heading for bed now, and I'll dream of paint colors, and helicopters.

And the sound of freedom.   

No comments:


Related Posts with Thumbnails