Monday, December 29, 2014

When It Rains

It should have been a simple trip into town to buy dog food.

They were almost out, so I needed to go get them some before they decided to eat me.  No problem, right?  But when I went out to leave, Jimmy wouldn't start.  Sigh...

I called James and he said it sounded like the battery.  When he got home from work, he checked it, and sure enough, it was run down.  I can't think of what would run it down, though, since all my lights and things are automatic and shut off when I turn the ignition off.   Still, I should have had a clue when I opened the door and the dome light didn't come on. 

Anyway, we put it on the charger and will check it tomorrow.  (The charger has an automatic shut off, so there's no worries about overcharging.) I'm just hoping it was the battery, and not the alternator failing to keep it charged.  Even if it is, an alternator is a pretty easy fix.  And what do you know, I've already got an extra one.  Mike brought it to me a few years ago, and it's been sitting in Cody's old room ever since.  I do know how to replace an alternator.  I've done it before.  I used to do all my own vehicle maintenance, but I've gotten to the point now that I'd rather just pay someone to do it for me.

Back to my shopping -- all was not lost, as I was able to once again borrow Beverly's car and run get some dog food.  The dogs have been safely fed, and are no longer eying me as if I were a t-bone steak.

While I was in the store, I picked up a new pie pan.


 I'd bought some at the dollar store several years ago when I started making my own crusts.  They were some kind of metal -- I'm guessing aluminum or tin.  I've notice the last couple of years, they've been making my crusts taste kind of funny.   I'm not sure why.  I'm guessing that the non stick coating has worn off, and the dough is absorbing traces of the metal.  Maybe.  What I am sure of is, I am sure I don't like it.  I figure a glass pan will solve that problem.  Wonder of wonders, I have enough left over mashed sweet potatoes to make a pie.  I know what I'm going to do tomorrow.

A few weeks ago, a friend clued me in to Tealated.  It's a website that sells loose tea blends.  I requested a couple of samples, and ended up buying some for my sister for Christmas.  She has all kinds of flavors.  I've tried Peachy White and Cream of Earl Gray.

I'm going to try to drink more tea and less coke.  So...I thought I had a tea strainer around here somewhere, but I couldn't find it, so I picked up a new one.


I am now enjoying a delicious mug of Cream of Earl Gray, thanks to my new tea strainer.

When I got home, I checked the mail, and my new Kindle Fire case was here!


 I was a bit disappointed, because it seems so flimsy.  For what I paid for it, I was expecting something more like my old Kindle cover, which is very sturdy.  Hardback book type of sturdy.  This one just seems like very thin plastic. But it will provide a measure of protection for my new Fire, along with the vinyl screen protectors I got.

Hey, anyone remember shrinky dinks?  Another one of my friends was talking about them, and I just couldn't resist ordering me some with my Christmas money. 


I got a cheap set, since I'm just doing it for whimsy.

Oh, and FYI, do not call the shrink wrap you use at work "shrinky dink".  You will get a very strange look from your Group Leader Fernando.

Trust me on this. 

No comments: