Thursday, December 04, 2014

Faith In Humanity Restored

After more than a week, I finally have my Jimmy back.

Yesterday was a very long, but a good day.  It started with a full day of work, then my friend Lirio  picked me up to take me down to Jackson to get my Jimmy.  She loved the yarn I gave her, but refused to accept any gas money.

After calling Will to let him know I'd found a ride away we went, talking and laughing the whole way.  I showed Lirio where I was when I first noticed my engine running hot.  She said she needed gas, so we pulled off at Canton.  I told her this was the same gas station I pulled in to to check my radiator.

"Oh, I'm taking you down memory lane," she said.

Back on the road, I called Will again for directions, and he told us how to get to his shop.  Lirio and I  had a brief moment of panic when we thought we'd made a wrong turn, but soon discovered we were still right on track.  Before long, we'd found the place.

The first thing Will noticed was my LSU hoodie.  "Hey, LSU!" he said.  Did I mention he's a fan?  Anyway, he popped Jimmy's hood and showed me what all he had done.  I nodded and said, "uh huh" like I knew what he was talking about. 

When it came time for me to pay him, Will said, "My wife told me, 'When she comes to get that truck, just give her the keys.'  You don't owe us a thing."

What??????  I jumped up and down and squealed like a girl.  Oh, wait, I am a girl..OK, moving right along.  I ran around the desk and hugged his neck.  We can have Christmas after all! 

After thanking him profusely and giving him the gifts, I got into Jimmy and we headed home to the sound of Will saying, "Call me to let me know you got home safely!"  Well, I headed home, and Lirio went to find Michael's and Hobby Lobby.

She texted me "I got lost."  I texted back, "Me, too!" but we both eventually found the highway and went our separate ways.

After all that, you'd think I'd feel home free, but no.  All the way home, I worried about hitting a deer.   Wouldn't that be just like me -- all that and I hit a deer.  Thankfully, I made hit home safely without incident.  I did see a dead deer, but at least I wasn't the one who hit it.


I got up and drove myself to work this morning, never so happy to see that raggedy old SUV, and I was reminded that, in spite of everything, there are still good people in this world.

My faith in humanity has been restored.   

No comments: