Friday, December 28, 2012

What A Dreary Day

It has rained all day long.  And I do mean All. Day. Long.

Needless to say, I did not get out of the house.  Well, except to run get the mail during the only 15 minutes of the day during which it was not raining.

So, what did I do?

I started taking down the Christmas decorations for one.

I finished a scarf for another.

IMG_7827


I'm a little bummed, though.  You know I used to make all these scarves for a charity called Scarves From The Heart.  They deliver them to cancer patients at a treatment center near where they are located.  But when I went to the website to get the address, apparently they've dismembered, or  disbanded, or disengaged, or whatever charities do when they shut down.  Whatever you call it, they aren't there any more.  So, now I need to find a new charity to send my scarves to. 

Speaking of scarves, I just realized I never showed you Beverly's finished cowl.  I can now that she's got it.

IMG_7760


She really, really liked it.

Oh, and I should probably show you the rest of my Christmas presents, too.  I'd saved a few to open on Christmas morning.

IMG_7814


And here they are:

IMG_7821


Oh, and my sister sent me some bear sausage.  Well, something like a slim jim, only made with bear meat.  I haven't opened them yet.  She also sent me some of that really good fireweed jelly that she makes.  I'm almost tempted to move to Alaska myself, just to get some more of that stuff.

My younger brother and sister in law sent me a gift card to Amazon.com, so what did I do but buy a book.

Uglies, by Scott Westerfield.  

Everybody gets to be supermodel gorgeous. What could be wrong with that? Tally is about to turn sixteen, and she can't wait. Not for her license -- for turning pretty. In Tally's world, your sixteenth birthday brings an operation that turns you from a repellent ugly into a stunningly attractive pretty and catapults you into a high-tech paradise where your only job is to have a really great time. In just a few weeks Tally will be there.

But Tally's new friend Shay isn't sure she wants to be pretty. She'd rather risk life on the outside. When Shay runs away, Tally learns about a whole new side of the pretty world -- and it isn't very pretty. The authorities offer Tally the worst choice she can imagine: find her friend and turn her in, or never turn pretty at all. The choice Tally makes changes her world forever.
It is the first of a series, but I haven't bought the second book yet.  Next up on the reading list is The Handmaid's Tale, by Margaret Atwood

I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments: