Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Nope

The plan was to come home and make at least one batch of cookies, but nope.  It just didn't happen.  I was too tired to really do anything.

As the line from my Great-Grandma's favorite poem says, "my get up and go has got up and went."

All the plans I had for this evening went by the wayside, except for one.  I did watch The Homecoming.  



Still, so many of my favorite Christmas movies I haven't had time to watch yet.  But since tomorrow is my last day of work, that's the plan.  Bake cookies and watch movies.


And I hope to get caught up with all these blog posts I have rattling around in my head.    TMI warning,  but it's not too bad.  About a year ago, I started taking those women's vitamins.  You know, the ones that are supposed to keep you from having hot flashes and night sweats and mood swings and all that?  Well, they did that, but they also seemed to turn off my brain.  I stopped dreaming, I stopped writing.  I lost all my creativity.  A couple of weeks ago, I stopped taking them.  I tell you, it's been like coming out of a fog.

I'm not going to take anything like that for a while, but when the night sweats start up again, we may have to do something.  I just don't know what yet.

Speaking of Christmas shows, I've been tuning in to ABCFamily's 25 Days Of Christmas, and it's been a bit of a disappointment.  Seems that the only three Christmas shows they've ever heard of are Home Alone, Disney's Christmas Carol, and The Polar Express.  They keep showing those three over and over, and over and over again.  Why?  There are so many to choose from!  I'd love to see Christmas Every Day, but my station doesn't show it.  I read on GetGlue.com that other people are getting to see it, but just not here.  Bummed.  That was one of my favorites.  I have it on VHS, but no longer have a VHS player since mine went out last month.

That's about it for today, but before I go, here is a variation of the poem I referenced above:  (It's one of those that has several iterations.  This is the one closest to what I remember from my childhood though the verses are in a different order.)

My Get Up and Go Has Got Up and Went

How do I know that my youth is all spent?
Well, my get up and go has got up and went,
But in spite of it all I am able to grin.
When I think of the places my get up has been.

Old age is golden, So I've heard said
But sometimes I wonder, as I get into bed.
With my ears in a drawer, my teeth in a cup
And my eyes on the table until I wake up.

Ere sleep dims my eyes I say to myself
"Is there anything else I can put on the shelf?"
And I'm happy to say as I close the door
"My friends are the same, perhaps even more."

When I was young, my slippers were red,
I could kick way over my head.
When I was older, my slippers were blue,
But still I could dance the whole night through.

Now I am old, my slippers are black.
I walk to the store and puff my way back.
The reason I know my youth is all spent,
My get up and go has got up and went.

But really, I don't mind when I think with a grin,
Of the wonderful places my get up has been.
Since I have retired from life's competition
I busy myself with complete repetition.

I get up each morning and dust off my wits,
Pick up the paper and read the 'obits',
If my name is missing I know I'm not dead
So I eat a good breakfast and go back to bed.

No comments: