Tuesday, December 11, 2012

A Little Bit Bummed

For years, I've used a photo hosting site called Webshots.  Not only did I post my own photos to my albums there, but they also had daily professional photos that you could download and use as screensavers.  I liked this service so much that I even upgraded to the premium membership. 

A few weeks ago, Webshots announced that their owners --American Greetings-- had decided to delete the site.  I don't remember what their reasoning was, but they no longer felt that it was profitable or something, and were going to take it down.

Instead of losing the site completely, some of the admins pooled their money and bought it from AG.  But it's not the same.  I don't know why they didn't get it as is, but now it looks like something from a Jr High computer literacy class project.

Yeah, all my photos are still on the site, but they are no longer organized into the albums I had them in.  If I want a specific photo, now I have to search through a something like 4000+ photos, all in one giant stream.

Not only that, I can't choose specific photos to be in my screen saver the way I could before.  So, instead of my Christmas and Winter photos, EVERY photo I've ever taken is now rotating through my screen saver.  Very amateurish.

But probably the worst of all-- all the photos I'd hotlinked from the site are now no longer available.  As of now, there is no way to hotlink the photos that are still on the site, so to replace the photos, say on my blog, I'm going to have to get all my photos uploaded to another site like Flickr or Photobucket, then hotlink each one individually to get them back onto my blog.

That is going to take some time, and be a total pain in the patootie.

And it would have been nice if they'd given us a little warning.  


No comments: