Monday, October 04, 2010

What A Walker Sees

Usually, all I see while walking is fairly innocuous stuff.  You know the usual things one sees discarded on a country road:  empty beer cans and various other forms of litter.  I see birds and bugs.  Various forms of animal tracks.  This is a fun one.  I try to identify as many as I can.  So far, I've seen deer (lots and lots of deer), horse, dog, bunny rabbit, raccoon, possum, quail, and turkey.  Today, however, was quite different.

I was walking with Rylea and the neighbor's dog.  Beside the road there is a hill. We hadn't gone very far, when Ry ran up the side of the hill a little ways and started growling and jumping.  Well, not really jumping, but kind of bouncing stiff legged.  I went up there to see, thinking it was probably a possum, but when I got there, it was a coyote! 

I'd known they were back there because I've heard them yipping, but I never thought I'd run up on one.  Especially not in broad daylight.  But there he was, snarling and growling.  Fortunately, it didn't attack.  I hollered at Rylea and told her that thing would eat her alive, and we high-tailed it out of there. 

That's quite enough adventure for me these days. 

For your Music Monday, a classic. 



 

No comments: