I don't always participate in Ten on Tuesday, but this week's topic is one that is near and dear to my heart: Fall. I love Fall. It is my favorite season of the year, and here are 10 reasons why:
1. First and foremost, fall brings sweet, blessed relief from the brutal heat and humidity that summer in the deep South brings. I love that first cool day, the first one I can get through without sweat pouring off of my body, and my clothes sticking to me. Sweet, sweet relief...
2. Opening the windows. I love opening the windows and letting the crisp fall air clear the stale mustiness out of the house. Fresh air, even if my allergist recommends against it.
3. The colors of fall--the reds, yellows, browns. The fall flowers, the leaves turning. We won't get much of that this year, being as it's been so very dry. Mostly, they'll just turn brown and fall off the trees.
4. Fall decorations--starting with Halloween, then Thanksgiving, and morphing on into Christmas. I love seeing people's yards decorated with pumpkins, scarecrows, and hay bales. Speaking of, I love seeing the round hay bales out in the fields, too.
5. Scuffling through piles of leaves. Crunchy leaves are Nature's version of bubble wrap. Next time you're in a funk, try it. It works.
6. Turning on the heater for the first time. Now, if I had a fireplace, I'd probably have listed the first fire. But since I don't, I have to settle for the heater. There is just something comforting about having the heater running.
7. The first frost. Especially when it happens on a day when I don't have to get up and go anywhere.
8. Hot chocolate, hot tea, hot cider -- Yeah, you can drink these all year round, but they are just better in the fall.
9. Flannel shirts, flannel pants, flannel sheets--flannel is just so warm and cozy and snuggly.