Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Heat and Light

Last night I dreamed that I went back to karate class, and couldn't remember any of my kata. That may have a basis in reality, though. Yesterday I tried to run through some of them, and couldn't remember any except seisan. Sometimes I do miss going to class, but most of the time, I don't miss the extra stress.

Right now at work they have us working from 7 AM until they tell us we can go. Today we actually got off at three, but most of the time here lately, it's been 4 or even 4:30 before we get off. They say we have to stay until we've produced 2000 units, no matter how late it is. While I'm glad for the overtime, it sure makes the evenings seem short.

Speaking of work, not too long ago, a corporate task force was going around to all the plants. They said that we don't have enough light in ours, so they are making us put up more light fixtures. They added one right behind my brazing stand yesterday. I felt like I was standing under a broiler all day. John Fly came around and told me what was going on. I told him that I didn't need more light. I can see fine. That's when he said that it came from the corporate office. I replied that they aren't the ones who have to stand out here sweating under all these lights.

Back when Howard took over, we only had bulbs in about half of our fixtures, and we still had enough light. When Howard got here, he ordered that the missing bulbs be replaced. No one wanted those bulbs replaced. We knew what would happen, and sure enough, it raised the temperature in the plant about 10 degrees.

Anyway, John said that they were going to experiment with different types of fixtures, then he'd be coming around to get feedback. I said, "I'll give you some feedback right now. That thing is HOT!" He laughed and said they'd be taking it down this afternoon. I sure hope he wasn't joking. It's already hot in there. We don't need more heat.

No comments: