Sunday, March 14, 2010

Happy Pi Day

Today is Pi day--3/14. I didn't eat any pie though. I did cast on a Pi shawl, though. After much deliberation, I chose the Orkney Pi.


It's actually one I've been wanting to cast on for a long time, and I finally decided today was the day.


The pink bit is not part of the shawl. It's a belly button cast on. Well, my version of it anyway. The belly button part is basically a glorified i-cord, so that's what I did. Instead of knitting the first inch flat, I just did it in i-cord fashion for about an inch. Then I split it over my 4 needles like the instructions say. It worked great, and seemed a lot less fiddly.

The yarn is Knit Picks Shimmer in Spice. I really wanted to do it in another yarn, but this shawl takes an enormous amount of yarn. I would have had to order more anyway, and Spice is the only colorway Knit Picks still had in stock. Since I really wanted to cast on today--it being Pi day and all--I went ahead and used it.

I've also been knitting on the blankie. It is barely over 1/4th done.


Some of us have started a blankie group over on FB, and we're in the midst of organizing a swap. So hopefully, I'll soon have some new yarns to add.

One day last week, I was at work and suddenly got the craving for liver and onions. I hadn't had liver in ages, and I was going to make me some. About then, I realized I didn't know how to fix liver and onions. Internet to the rescue! I found a recipe and turned out today's lunch in no time.

It tasted as good as it looked.





1 comment:

Opal said...

you chose a beautiful pi! and now i have a craving for liver and onions.... o.O