Wednesday, March 24, 2021

I Needed Some Time

 


My mother lost her long battle with cancer last week, and went home to be with the Lord on March 17, 2021.  

This photo was taken last July when Cody and I went down to see her before she went to Alaska to live with my sister Deana. 

I could have sworn I blogged about the trip when it happened, but apparently I didn't.  I posted pictures on FB, but not here.  Since I've been remiss, the story is, Mom had been staying with my younger brother Scott and his wife since Hurricane Harvey destroyed her house.  Last April, they discovered her cancer had come back, in her liver this time.  

They tried to do chemo, but she had a very bad reaction to it, and that's when the doctors said there was pretty much nothing more they could do.  By that time, she'd gotten so weak, she couldn't walk across the room, even with her walker.  Since Scott and Paula work nights and sleep all day, the fear was that Mom could fall or something, and they wouldn't hear her calling for help.  So, my sister flew down and took Mom back to Alaska with her.  Since she's the only one of us who doesn't work outside the home, she could be there if Mom needed anything.  Deana had had hopes that she could get her stronger so she could try chemo again, but it was not to be.

Deana sat with her all that day, and held her hand as she breathed her last.  

They are going to have her funeral this Friday, at Deana's church in Alaska.  She will live stream it for the rest of us.  We will be having a memorial service in Texas at the end of May. 

I hope you'll forgive me for not posting about this sooner, but I needed some time. 

Thank you for understanding.  






No comments: