Sunday, February 09, 2020

Random Thoughts Of A Sunday Evening.

1.  This has been a pretty mild winter so far.  We've had some cold spells, but nothing down into the teens or anything like that.  Mild or not, it's almost over.  You know how I can tell?  I've got daffodils coming up!



I first noticed the wild daffs blooming on Riverdale road along about Monday, driving home from work.  Mine are cultivars, and usually bloom a bit later than the wild ones. 

2.  Then there are these:


My friend Cyndye sent me some bluebonnet seeds last spring, and these are coming up where I planted them.  I'm not sure what it is.  It might be a bluebonnet.  It might be just a weed.  Either way, I'm not messing with it until I know.

3.  Sure enough, we worked Saturday.  The bad news is, nothing was ready for us to do when we got there.  I wish I could make them understand that we can't be 30 hours ahead of the lines if tubing isn't 30 hours ahead of us.  The good news is, they let us off at 1:00.  I was able to run by the store and do my weekly re-supply of milk and dog food. 

4.  I'm watching the XFL.  I'm not liking it.  Really, I don't like the kickoff rules.  No one is allowed to move until the receiver catches the ball.  What good is that?  I'm also not liking the requirement that there be a token female on all refereeing crews.  Can we just play the game without being "woke".  Anyway, I don't see it being a serious contender, and certainly not any competition to the NFL or NCAA. 

5.  My roses aren't doing well.  I think I may have cut them back too hard last spring.  This year, I'm just going to cut the dead parts out, then only trim back the bits that stick straight out into my yard.

6.  I got out and mowed for the first time this year.  My front yard was too muddy, but I got the back and side yards done.  It's all just weeds at this point, but if I can cut them back before they go to seed, maybe I can get them under control a bit better.

7.  We're all hoping and praying that when the new plant manager gets hired, he'll put us back onto 8 hour shifts.  These 10-12 hour days are wearing everyone out.  Or as my coworker says, "Eight - hours?  Do you mean 7:00 - 3:00?"  Yes, that is an 8 hour shift.

8.  I haven't even been practicing my guitar.  I just don't have the time or energy.  Some days, it's all I can do to put in 10 minutes practicing the piano.  And you can forget about blogging.  Even when my brain isn't too tired to think of anything to say, I seldom have the energy to type it out. 

9. Maybe it'll get better.  Or maybe you'll just have to wait until I retire.  Although, Cody is talking about buying out my mortgage and moving me up to Memphis with him.  And I'm like, "Memphis?  Really?"  But last time we talked about it, he mentioned buying us a bit of land down in the swamps of Southeast Texas or Southwest Louisiana. 

10.  If he does that, he'd better drop that fake Cajun accent he's been talking with.  It might pass up in Memphis, but down in real Cajun country, that mess ain't going to fly.












No comments: