Tuesday, January 09, 2024

Yelling At God

I woke up this morning to the sound of a cat yelling at me. 

She wanted to go outside, but I wouldn’t let her, because it was still raining, and not just a light sprinkle, either.  I knew if she went outside, she'd be stuck out there in that weather until I got home from work this evening. 

We argued about it for a while, then she went off to sulk, still mad that I wouldn’t let her do what she wanted, and I thought, “If that isn’t a metaphor for me and God, I don’t know what is!”

FYI, if God’s got you by the ears and is screaming in your face to “Do not do this thing,” do not under any circumstances pat him on the head— metaphorically speaking of course --and tell him to o “Calm down, God.  It’ll be all right.  You'll see.”

I can assure you it most definitely will not be all right.   Trust me on this. 

But the amazing thing about God's grace is that seven months later when your life falls apart and you’re wondering what happened because I thought this was your will for my life, the God who loves us never says I told you so. 

He just opens his arms and says, "Come here child, I’ve got you."   

And the more amazing thing about God's grace is that no matter who many times you stupidly wander off on your own, he never ever says, "This is your last chance."      

In other, more mundane news, the work day today passed without drama, which is a relief after the last few days.  The biggest topic of conversation was the forecasted weather for next week.  


A couple of coworkers have already said they might just sit next Tuesday out, especially if there's any ice on the roads.  One of the brazers said, "We're going to be in trouble.  I'm already freezing in here.  I don't know how I'm going to make it Tuesday."  I told her, "That might just be a good day to take a point.  I mean, it's not like we get an attendance bonus any more, so might as well stay home."  

But I have my plan in place.  I've got plenty of firewood and plenty of milk and bread.  


I'll be OK.  


No comments: