Friday, January 12, 2024

Winter Weather

There I was at work, just a working away, when shortly after noon, I turned to my coworker and said, "It wouldn't hurt my feelings if they sent us home early today."

Sure enough, about 10 minutes later, Group Leader Shark came around and told us to "shut it down."  Heh, for once, I actually talked up something good.  Usually, I just talk up my stalker or some other creepy weirdo.  

It's kind of funny, because yesterday we had been talking about signing up for those text messages the plant sends out letting you know of plant closures or delays due to inclement weather or whatnot. After the ice storm of 2021, I'd heard people talking about getting those texts, so I went up to HR and asked to be added to the list, but the girl there that day acted like she had no idea what I was talking about. She wrote down my number, but I don't think she entered it, because I haven't ever gotten a text from them. 

Well, this morning, one of the HR ladies came around with a stack of forms that we could fill out to receive those texts.  My coworker and I looked at each other and kind of giggled, and she said, "We were just talking about that yesterday!"  

So, I told my coworkers, "See you Tuesday, or Wednesday depending on what the weather does!" and skedaddled my way out of there.   I ran by Walmart, then came on home and began prepping for the cold.   The coldest of it isn't supposed to get here until Monday night and into Tuesday morning, but I wanted to go ahead and get a few things ready now. 


 Now, I know for those of you who live up north, you call this "Tuesday," but down here, we prep for heat, not cold.  We don't have the salt trucks and snow plows, and houses built to retain heat.  Heck, most of us don't even own a coat.  

I don't.  Own a coat, I mean.  I have a few jackets, but nothing really made for temps below freezing.  Except for my insulated coveralls.  Those are mighty warm, they are. 

Anyway, the first thing I did was to get out a chunk of the insulation I still had from when I ordered snake food and wrap the faucet on the north side of the house, after unscrewing the hose, that is. 


That ought to do it. 

The next thing I did was to buy some plastic and make a little makeshift greenhouse for my bluebonnet seedlings.  


I know they're supposed to be cold hardy, and they've made it through several nights in the mid 20s just fine, but what with it supposed to be getting possible down in to the single digits, I want to give them every chance I can.  

Back when I planted them, I'd also scattered a packet of seeds in my raised planter, and of those, I've got one brave little seedling still hanging on.  So, I put a plastic bowl over it, to try to protect it from the cold.  


Then I raked up some leaves and covered the roots of the rest of the stuff in there.  Hopefully, that will keep them safe.  If not, I'll just buy new ones in the spring. 

So now I guess I'm about as prepped for the cold as I'll ever be.  Look, I even bought new yarn.  


Remember that Colorado Chick beanie that became popular several years ago?  Well, I've seen a few people out at the plant wearing headbands based on that pattern.  I'm going to try to reverse engineer the pattern and knit a few of those up.  

But when I do, I'm going to slip them to my coworkers on the sly, just so there won't be any more drama.  

I've had just about enough of that lately. 

3 comments:

Amnicon Studio said...

I pink, puffy heart LOVE the CC hats. I've made at least 3, maybe 4, so far.

You may need to knit yourself up some more sweaters and cardigans if your state is going to keep having this kind of weather. Usually, I layer up and I don't wear my winter coats unless it's *really* cold out.

Oh, your plant got my thinking, and I can't remember if I mentioned this to you before, about the winter sowing? Sowing seeds in milk jugs. It looks like it's really starting to come into it's own and people LOVE it. I'm going to give it a try this year. Just need the milk jugs!

Becky G said...

Funny, I just cleaned out my closet over Christmas break and gave most of my sweaters away. I don't really like wearing them. I prefer layering a hoodie or a flannel shirt over a t-shirt. If I'm going to have to be outside for a period of time, I'll break out the insulated coveralls, but usually, I'm running from a heated house to a heated car, then into a heated plant or store, so no need to bundle up.

Becky G said...

Oh, and you mentioned milk jug sowing before, and I looked into it, but didn't do it. I may have to look into it again this year.