Friday, March 24, 2023

A Weather Shanty??

Well, I did it.  I returned my book on foraging this afternoon, but ordered another one.  This one says it's about edible plants in the Southeast, and got good reviews.  Let's hope it's more helpful than the other one. 

By the way, I'm so glad we have a UPS store here now.  All I had to do was hand the man the book and let him scan the QR code and I was all done!  I didn't have to put it into a box or anything.  They take care of all of it for you. And it's so much more convenient than having to drive all the way to Batesville every time I need to return something.   

Also, my other package got here today, but I'm not going to show you what it is until I can do an unboxing video.  Maybe tomorrow, if I survive tonight's storms that is.  Yep, it's definitely springtime in the south and we are expecting severe weather. 


I'm all ready.  I've got my plan in place, my phone on the charger, my back up power bank charging, and the weekend off. 

It was about this time last year...I was at work, just a working away, when all of the sudden, everyone's phones started blowing up.  

"Look!"  we all said, showing each other our phones.  "We're under a tornado warning!"  As we stood there looking at our weather apps, Supervisor Jeramy walked by, looked at us like we'd lost our minds, and called, "Go to the shelter!!"  

The shelter!  Oh yeah!  Let's go to the shelter.  And off we went. 

Sitting there in the shelter, a little ditty kept running through my head...and now, after a bit of tweaking and a whole lot of marinating, I present to you, sung to the tune of the popular sea chanty The Wellerman, my creation. 

The Weatherman

There once was a man who watched the skies
He studied it with knowing eyes
The satellites, the radar scans
He is The Weatherman

(Chorus)Hear what The Weatherman says
We gotta go get the milk and bread
When he says a storm will come
To Walmart we'll all go

The radar turned all shades of red
The forecast filled our hearts with dread
The lightning flashed, the thunder crashed
Oh blow my stormy winds blow!

(Chorus)

There in the sky!  A funnel cloud!
The siren wailing long and loud
"Oh do not fear, for I am here,"
So says the weatherman!


When all around him fled in fear
"Not me!" he said,  "I'm staying here!
I must ensure the people know
To shelter I'll not go."

(Chorus)

For forty days or even more
The sky turned dark, then light once more
But through it all one man stood tall
He is The Weatherman

(Chorus Twice)


I'll see myself out. 

1 comment:

Amnicon Studio said...

Hey! I liked your little shanty. :-)