Monday, December 20, 2021

Jesse

It was that time again.  Time for Jesse to go get his checkup.  I know he was thrilled, but it's something that has to be done, so I called the up vet this morning and made him an appointment.  They were able to get us in today, so I loaded him up in the car, and off to the vet we went. 

He's still camera shy, by the way.  As long as I've had him, that's something I've never been able to get him over-- that, and a fear of belts. 

For those of you who may be new to the blog, I adopted Jesse from the local animal shelter some 10 years ago.  They estimated him to be about 2 years old.  He was skinny as a rail, and scared of everything.  He's doing much better now, but I still haven't cured him of his fear of lights and noise.  In fact, he's so afraid of noise, I have to be careful I don't put his food into his bowl too loudly, or he's ducking and running for cover. 

Anyway, he got a clean bill of health from the vet-- as much as a 12 year old dog can have a clean bill of health. The vet did come in and sat down and discussed some non urgent age related issued we would need to look at soon, like getting his teeth cleaned, and we talked about the heart murmur they found a year or so ago.  There really isn't much to do about that, but it can be concerning if he ever needs anesthesia for anything.  

On the bright side, I was commended because Jesse is a good, healthy weight.  Overweightness in dogs is just as bad as overweightness in humans.  It affects their heart and joints and other organs, just like it does to people. 

Once we got home from Jesse's doctor visit, I said to myself, "Self, you really ought to run to the store while you're dressed."  

I needed to go back to the store, because I'd forgotten some vitally important ingredients for one of my Christmas Eve dishes I always make.  Not because I was waiting until the last minute.  


I went back and forth for a minute::  I need to go, but I don't want to go, but I need to go, but I don't want to go, maybe I'll go tomorrow -- you know, the usual.  I finally convinced myself to go ahead and go, so I won't have that trip hanging over my head for the rest of the week.  I got the things I'd forgotten, and that's it for me.  If I've forgotten anything else, we'll just have to do without this year.

We're going to have to do without the gumdrop cookies as it is, because I have not been able to find gumdrops this year.  They may have had some earlier, but when I tried to find them, I couldn't.  I haven't been able to find the Pearson's mint patties either.  So, thank you for that, Brandon.  

While I was at the store, I ran in to Edna Who Loves To See Her Name In My Blog.  She used to work out at the plant until she retired a couple of years ago.  We chatted for a good bit, blocking the aisles and catching up on all the gossip.  She asked about work, asked about my Stalker, asked about the plumber, and mentioned my piano concert.

Edna told me she'd taken piano lessons as a child, and was so bad, her teacher taught her to crochet instead. I told her I'd taken lessons as a child, too, until my mother made me quit because I kept forgetting what day my lessons were on, and I'd walk home after school, instead of going and getting in the car for my mother to drive my to the piano teacher's house.  

Then I told her about this morning...Yes, I got a second song recorded this morning.  "You know, I'm not very good, because I'm trying to teach myself, and I don't have a lot of time to practice, because, well, you know where I work,"  I told her.  

Anyway, I've been working up a few songs, and I've gotten to where I can play them through pretty well, provided I slow myself down.  I can play them 100 times perfectly, but as soon as I turn on the camera, it's like I've never seen this music before.  I don't understand it, because it's not like there's anyone standing over me putting pressure on me.  

Even so, it took me five tries -- five tries-- to get a recording that I felt was acceptable.  

Edna thought that was hysterical.  You know what I think is hysterical?  This:


But I digress.  

Where was I?  Oh yes...it took me five tries to successfully record the song, but I finally got it done, so now you will have two songs in your Christmas concert.  At least.  I'm going to try to get a couple more songs recorded.  Even though I'm getting short on time. 

One thing I've noticed, though, is when I first start recording, the sound is really low, then it increases after a few seconds.  It's not me doing it.  

It's the camera, so don't hold that one against me. 

The flubs and sour notes you can, but not the wonky volume issues. 

No comments: