Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Well, That Was Interesting

So, there I was at work, just a working away, when all of the sudden, half of the lights in the plant started flickering. Not all at the same time, either.  It was really weird.  The light fixtures have four fluorescent bulbs in each one, and even they weren't flickering at the same time.  It was like being inside a giant disco ball.  

I'm not sure what caused it, but after only about 15 or 20 minutes of this, they sent everyone home for the day.  Everyone but the sub brazers, that is.   They originally said we would have to stay the whole day, but it didn't pan out that way.  Turns out the computers were all down as well.  We couldn't scan anything out, or get new pick tickets printed, or anything.  We couldn't even get blueprints for the header assemblies.  

Before long, someone got the idea to shut off the lights that were flickering, which was a relief to me.  I can handle a lot of things, but strobe lights isn't one of them.  Our youth group at church used to do a drama thing with a strobe light, but I couldn't even watch it.  I had to sit there with my eyes closed for the whole thing.  

The electricians were out working on stuff, trying to figure out what was going on,  and along about 2:10, all the lights in the plant went out.  I'm thinking they'd shut a circuit breaker off or something in order to work on ---whatever it was.  At this point, the bosses threw in the towel and sent the last few of us home.  

Heh, I was going to say I had a short day -- which I did -- but it was still a 10 hour shift.  Still, it was nice to have time to practice my piano and blog, both in the same day.  

Well, we've had several more people out at the plant who've been through the COVID, and sadly, have had our first loss.  The guy, Big Teddy, had gone to the hospital, but all the beds were full.  They were going to put him on a gurney in the hall, but he didn't want to do that.  He went back home, but didn't make it.  Someone said his fever was so high, he was delirious.  I'm not sure of all the details, but it was a sad day indeed.  I didn't know him well, but Big Teddy was always very nice to me.  He will be missed.  

Mississippi, and particularly my county, is one of the hardest hit in this latest spike, even though Florida, Texas, and California are getting all the attention.  A lot of the area hospitals are out of beds, and no it doesn't matter that they're not all COVID cases.  When they have to line up gurneys in the halls, or transfer patients to out of state hospitals, or send people home to die, does it really matter what the other patients are there for?  Those of you saying this virus is a hoax, or it's all faked to try to take our rights away, well, you just need to shut your stupid self up.  It's real, and it's deadly.   

With that in mind, when I was out yesterday, I picked this up, mainly because it's made in the USA by veterans.  


Given the choice, I will always support a veteran owned business, or one that employees primarily veterans.  


Sometimes, I'll even buy stuff I don't need, just to help a brother or sister out.  



Cody and I made a flying trip to Texas over the weekend, which I will tell you about in another post.  It was so nice having him drive the whole way there and back, though I did offer to spell him should he need a break.  It got nearly a whole hat finished, when I discovered I'd left my measuring tape at home. 


Cody told me to just eyeball it, so I did.  When I got to where I thought I should start the crown decreases, I set it aside, because I didn't want to have to deal with DPNs in a moving vehicle.  I pulled this old scarf out and worked on it for the rest of the trip.  


When I got home, I pulled out the old measuring tape, measured my hat, and low and behold, it was exactly the right length.  I guess I've done knitted a few, huh?

Finally, I think my malaise towards blogging has been caused in part by the changes Blogger has made to the site.  It used to be a really user friendly platform, and they had to go and make it all complicated and stuff.  Look, I just want to write a post, and let my friends know how my day went.  If I wanted to wrestle with HTML, I wouldn't be blogging.

I'd be writing code somewhere.  



No comments: