Tuesday, November 12, 2019

What Was I Thinking?

When I was a kid, I always wanted to live somewhere where it was cold and snowy.  Now that I'm a little older, and hopefully wiser, days like today come along,


and I wonder "What was I thinking???"  When I got off work, my car thermometer said 38.  This is January weather, not November weather.  What happened to all that global warming we were supposed to be getting?  I was wishing I had another day off to stay home up under the covers. 

Last night Cody called to wish me a happy birthday, and we ended up talking for nearly an hour.  He said, "That's what happens when you don't keep in touch often enough."  I asked him how his job was going, and he said it's going well.  He said he's considering switching to commission only.  Right now he gets a base salary, plus commission.  It's a bit lower commission than he would get if he were commission only, but having a base salary is a bit of a safety net.  I'm a bit worried about him losing that safety net, but he's a grown man.  It's his decision.  Plus, he can always switch back if things aren't going so well.  He said he wants to make enough money that he can pay my mortgage off for me, then move me to Texas, or up to Memphis with him.  I'd be torn about that.  I really want to move back home, but at the same time, I don't want to be so far away from him.  We'll cross that bridge when we come to it. 

We chatted about various other things, then I told him a story...

As many of you know, Cody is a big, big LSU fan.  For those of you who don't know, Cody is a big, big LSU fan.  He's the one who got me hooked on them as well.  I grew up a Texas fan, but Cody used to go watch LSU with James, who is a big, big LSU fan seeing as how half his family is from Louisiana. Then Cody'd come home and ask, "Mom, can we watch LSU?"  I said, "OK", and that's how I became a LSU fan -- which I am, except when they're playing Navy or Texas.

Naturally, being a big, big LSU fan, he was thrilled with the result of Saturday's game against Alabama.  We were talking about it, and I told him the aforementioned story, which I will now relate to you.

I grew up in Texas.  My uncle and his family all live in Alabama.  Every year, between Christmas and New Year's Day, they'd come to visit.  We loved it.  It was like having a second Christmas.  By and by,  we all grew up, went to college, and eventually went on our way.  My two oldest cousins both attended the University of Alabama.  The other two might have as well, but I don't really remember.  Some cousin I am, huh? 

This particular year, sometime in the early to mid 80s I reckon it was, Texas and Alabama were playing each other in some bowl game or other -- I can't recall which one right off hand, and I'm too lazy to go look it up.  You can if you want to.  It shouldn't be that hard to find.

Anyway, we were having our second Christmas dinner, in line buffet style.  My dad was standing there waiting to get his food, he turned to my cousin Diane and asked, "Are you going to come back next week and watch the Crimson Tide become the Pink Puddle?"

Cody absolutely LOVED that story.  I must remember to tell him more things about his grandfather, since doesn't remember him at all.

Finally, you know I've decided to add the fiddle to my list of instruments I'm trying to learn.  Cody had bought a violin several years ago after listening to some Vivaldi Four Seasons videos on YouTube.  It inspired him to want to learn to play.

Me, on the other hand, this is my inspiration:




What can I say?  I am who I am. 

Oh, and I haven't forgotten about your Christmas concert, either.  I've got five songs picked out that I'm learning for you. 






No comments: