Thursday, November 14, 2019

The Great Christmas Tree Hunt

Turned out to be a bust.  Well, a semi bust at least.   Hang on, let me start from the beginning...

In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth...wait, that's too far back...

I've been considering getting a new Christmas tree for a while now, blah, blah, blah.  You already know that, because I've blathered on about it incessantly for the last few days.  Since I couldn't find one I liked here, I was going to go up to Lowe's to look at what they have.  But you know that, too...after getting rained out last week, I decided today was the day. 

I got dressed, made myself some coffee, and headed North.  The first place I stopped was a closeout store called Dirt Cheap.  One of my coworkers said she'd gotten a new tree there, so I thought I'd check it out.  I was sorely disappointed.  The few trees they had had all been opened, and parts and pieces were strewn all over the floor.  Plus, I couldn't find any with multi colored lights.  I know white lights are all the rage nowadays, but I like my tree to be colorful.

I quickly left that store, and went to Walmart next.  I thought maybe since Batesville is a bigger town than Grenada, they might have a bigger selection.  Nope.  They had all the same trees as the local store. 

I thought these were coffee cups.


I'm sure the person standing behind me got a good chuckle when he heard me say, "Awww, man, they aren't coffee cups.  They're mixing bowls."

I left Walmart empty handed as well, and headed on over to Lowe's.

You know how I always say in a small town you can't go anywhere without seeing someone you know?  Me, I went all the way up to Batesville, to Lowe's...and saw someone I know.  This time, it was someone whose son is the same age as Cody, and I had the kind in Cub Scouts the year I was den leader.  I'm surprised he remembered me.  But then, I'm always surprised when people remember me, because I don't remember most of them.

I can't tell you how many times people I would swear I'd never seen before in my life call me by name, and ask how things are out at the plant -- calling it by name, as well.  Then again, that could just be an INTJ thing.

Anyway...I didn't really like any of the trees I saw at Lowe's, either.  I mean, the ones I did like were expensive, and just as big as the one I have now.  I was also kind of disappointed in the quality of the trees.  They really looked plastic, and not even remotely realistic.  And most of them have branches all the way down to the floor.  Where do they expect you to put your presents?   I guess I'll keep looking.

I might try to go down to Jackson area and see if they have anything decent at Hobby Lobby or Michael's.  Or, I may just stick with the one I have for another year, and see if I can get one on clearance.

The reason the trip was only a semi-bust was I picked up a new space heater for the snake room.


The only thing I don't like is that you can't set it to a specific temperature like my old one, but it will take the chill off the snake room.  I had to bring in my outside thermometer to get it set right, but it should hold steady once I've got it to where I want it.

Why yes, I do have an outside thermometer.  It was a gift from my sister in law a few years back.  By the way, I spent a few minutes this morning arranging the weather apps on my phone, putting them in order of accuracy.  The ones closest to what my thermometer reads are at the top, and the ones that are way off are down at the bottom.   They were ranging all the way from 31' to 38'.  It all depends on where they get their information from.

After I got home, I said to myself, "Self, since you're already up and dressed, you might as well get that front flower bed cleaned out."  And that's exactly what I did. 

I pulled up all the dead stuff, then got my garden claw and rooted up all the ...um...roots and stuff.  I didn't do that last year, and I think that may be why my bed didn't do as well this time around.  Once I'd gotten it all cleaned up, I scattered my bluebonnet seeds in one corner.  Yes, you're supposed to plant them in the fall.  I just hope I didn't wait too long.

Be that as it may, the bed's all ready for winter.


A week or so ago, I caught one chipmunk in my trap, but there is at least one more out there, still digging up my yard.  It won't go into the trap, though.  I brought the trap inside and cleaned it out really well.  I'm going to wait a while, then put it back out.  Maybe this time, I'll have better luck.

Rylea says, "Imma get that chipmunk for you, Mama!"


"I got it!  I got it!  I ... don't got it." 


"I'm sorry.  I'll get it next time, even if I have to dig up the whole yard!" 

My mother always sends me money for my birthday, and this year, I ordered myself three more Christmas themed wax stamps.


If you can't see the picture clearly, they are a candle, ornaments hanging from a branch, and a stocking.  I guess this weekend I'll be stamping my Christmas cards.  I'll finally get to use the wax melter Cody got me last year. 

And finally, I was walking down the hall last night and saw this:


Oh, heck no! 

Now, you to can have nightmares.  You're welcome. 

No comments: