Wednesday, December 08, 2021

So Lucky

 How did I get so lucky to have such good friends?  

I really don't know, because when you get right down to it, I don't deserved a single one of them.  

I've been feeling pretty down on myself here lately, and all because I don't seem capable of picking up a stupid phone and calling the plumber.  But today!  Today was going to be the day.  I was going to call the plumber...from the parking lot at work, before I even left the plant.

But once I got into my car, I said, "Eh, I'll call when I get home".   Then when I got home, I said, "Eh, I'll call tomorrow..." and once again, a day has gone by when I didn't call the plumber.  I was mentally berating myself pretty harshly.  What is wrong with me that this is so difficult? Why can't I make a simple phone call?  Why do I have to be this way?  

In the midst of all that gloom and self doubt, I checked the mail box and found a squishy package!  It was from one of my newest friends, and completely out of the blue.  Inside that squishy package was kitchen towels with the little crocheted tops,  


And some hot pads, 


and -- as if that weren't enough already --  knit dishcloths with a crocheted edging! 


all in beautiful Fall colors.  My favorite time of year!

But the best thing of all was a note thanking me for the gift of my friendship.  How did I get so lucky to have such good friends?  The towels are on point.  I truly am blessed.  

Thank you, Rebecca!  

I've actually been working on something for you, too, but I'm afraid it might be a minute before I get it done.  Now that I'm about ready for Christmas, at least as far as gifts go, I should be able to pick it back up soon. 

As for what I've been knitting, well, we had a bit of a tragedy here.  Well, not so much a tragedy, but a ... um, setback.  That's all it was, a setback.  

If you'll recall, I've been knitting on a hat using some Caron Simply Soft, and I was upset because there were two, yes two, knots in the yarn.  The first knot, I cut out and did a proper join, but when I got to the second knot, I was so aggravated I just hid the knot on the backside of the knitting and carried on.  That turned out to be a mistake, as I got this far, and ...heavy sigh...the knot came loose. 

My first instinct was to rip the whole hat out and toss it, but I decided that would be a foolish thing to do.  Instead, I ripped back to before the first knot, picked up the stitches, and got back to knitting  -- this time, doing proper joins both times.  As of this writing, I'm almost back to where I was before I ripped,

only now I'm playing a pretty serious game of yarn chicken.  The pattern says to make the body of the hat 8 1/2 inches, but I'm not sure I'm going to win my game if I do that.  I'm thinking I may put in a lifeline at 6 1/2 inches, and another at 7 1/2 inches, so if I do run out of yarn, I can rip back to one of the lifelines --depending on how much yarn I have left --and start the decreases from there.  

I'll keep you posted.

And now to finish this blog with a bit of good news. They've finally told us we can come out of our masks at work!  That was the last place around here that was requiring them, so I am completely 100% mask free now!  Whoo Hoo!.  

The downside of that is now Stalker can see my face again, so he's out there more and more, just staring....staring...staring....

It's almost enough to make me want to put the mask back on.  

Almost....

But not quite. 


2 comments:

Otter said...

I am so thankful that masks are not required in my state. Many years ago, I crocheted those hot pads for all my friends in a group I had been in for years. I asked their kitchen colors and they got a pad in the mail. I have heard from some that they never used it because they wanted to keep them as brand new. I have told them that if they get one nasty or wore it out, I would replace it. I have stored away all my old ones and only use the crocheted ones now because they work better and last forever. Need to redo some for my new kitchen because they are so old and look it.

Becky G said...

Masks aren't required here, either. In fact, Reeves lifted our statewide mask mandate six months before Abbot did. Work was the only place I was still required to wear one. Even in federal buildings like the post office, they have a sign on the door, but nobody says anything to you if you're not wearing one.