Monday, December 27, 2021

Doofus

I am such a doofus. 

Why do you say that? 

Because I did a very doofusy thing.  

Oh, boy, what have you done now, Becky?  

I'll tell you....remember this scarf I've been working on for ages?  This one:

Yeah, this scarf was nearly 4 feet long.  That's a lot of knitting time I put into it.  And me, because I'm a doofus, I ripped the whole thing out and started over. 


Why on earth would you do such a doofusy thing?

Because, wayyy down almost to the very beginning, I found a mistake. It was barely noticeable.  In fact, if I didn't point it out to you, you wouldn't even know it was there.  But I knew.  I knew that mistake was there. 

I tried to ignore it and go on knitting, but said mistake simply would not be ignored.  "I'm here!" it seemed to say.   The more I tried to ignore it, the louder it got, so off to the frog pond we went.  As soon as I ripped it, I said, "Why did I do that?  I'm such a doofus!"  

But, doofusy or not, the deed is done, and we must go on.  And since I'm a process knitter anyway, I have the fun of knitting it all over again.  

OK, moving right along...

Here are the photos I was going to show you yesterday, before I was overcome with emotion.  By the way, thank you for all the kind words and prayers.  Beverly was like a second mom to me, and she practically raised Cody while I was wasting my life away at the factory.  I can't imagine a world without her in it, but that is the world I live in now.  

Anyway, here are a few of the pictures I took.  Brennan and her set of Harry Potter House glasses.  She seemed to really like them. 


I got them one together gift -- a battery operated lantern.  It's for power outages, but Cody was talking about taking Brennan camping.  Better her than me.  I got my fill of camping when he was in Cub Scouts. 


This was Cody's big gift -- a record cleaner.  I wish they could have stayed a little longer, as I've got some records that really need cleaning.  Maybe I can talk him into bringing it down one weekend. 


Once we'd finished opening gifts, I had them lay everything out for a photo. 


Brennan was especially taken with the Pioneer Woman mug on the far right.  Funny, when I saw it in the store, it just called out to me and said her name.  

I also received some presents. 


Cody gave me the Muppet Christmas Carol soundtrack on vinyl, and the two wax stamps were from Brennan.  She got me this set with the wax, melting spoons, and candles, 


plus a second stamp.  


It didn't take me long to break them out and play with them:


My older brother and his family sent me some money, so I used part of it to order this cute little treasure chest to store my Christmas stamps and washi tape in. 


They fit perfectly.


They fit so well, I'm thinking about ordering another one for the rest of my stamps and washi tape...and stickers...

And lastly, my younger brother sent me a Texas flag blanket and Cajun French phrase book.  

Funny, yet not funny, two years ago, Cody got me a blanket for Christmas, and it was so hot, it was a week before I could even use it.  This year, my brother got me a blanket, and it's so hot, it'll be a week before I can use it.   So, the secret to getting Christmassy weather at Christmas -- stop buying me blankets.  

Also, I've been studying French on my DuoLingo app, but it's France French, not Cajun French, so my brother got me a Cajun French book.  Alas, the print is so tiny, I think I'm going to have to buy a magnifying glass to read it.  


Other than that, I love it.  I grew up in Cajun country, so if I'm going to learn French, this is the dialect I need to learn. 

That's it for tonight...wait, what about my sister?  Yes, she and her family sent me gifts, but this post is already long enough, so I'll wait until tomorrow to talk about those.  

For now, I'm going to go watch Tiny Food Fight on Food Network.  It's a show where grown folks cook miniature food in a doll house kitchen, and the judge tastes it with a tiny fork.  

It's hilarious.   

No comments: