Friday, December 17, 2021

I'm Free!

 I'm free!  Well, until January 4, that is.   That's right, yesterday was my last day of work for the year!  

Some of my coworkers tell me, "Oh, you're so lucky!"  But no, it's not luck.  It's the wise choices I made when scheduling my time off.  Luck had nothing to do with it. 

That bit of housekeeping aside, what did I do on my first day off?  As it happens, not a whole heck of a lot.  I mean, other than the usual laundry and shopping, that is.   Oh, I had plans, but those plans -- as they so often do -- fell by the wayside in favor of....knitting.

I cast on a new hat last night which coordinates pretty well with the Irish Hiking Scarf I want to do.  It's called the 3AM Blue Cable Hat.  It's knitting up pretty quickly, and I should be through with it soon.  The yarn is, of course, the Knit Picks Brava in Peacock colorway, knit on size 10 needles.  

I'm a bit torn.  I'm thinking if I'd used the size 8 needles the pattern called for, the cables might have a bit better definition.  On the other hand, the fabric would be stiffer, and I like the drape of it knit on the larger needles.  I think when I cast on the scarf, I'll stick with what I'm doing now. 

Other than that, my big plan for my time off is to get my snake room cleaned up and organized.  Unfortunately, it's become the room where I shove everything to get it out of my way.  As a result, it's become a bit cluttered. 




Heh, even the fake firelogs I bought on clearance last year got stuffed in here.  And the cat toy that was more interesting to me than to the cat.  And a few extra bottles of shampoo I moved in there to get them out of the way of the plumber who never came back.  

The ultimate goal, once all these snakes go to that great herpetarium in the sky, 


is to turn this room into a writing lounge.  I want pretty much clean out everything that is in there -- including the huge honking computer desk I haven't used in ages -- and maybe put a day bed in there for guests -- just in case I ever have grandkids someday-- and a writing desk, and maybe some sort of set up for my record player, and who knows, maybe I'll get one of those fake fireplaces.  OK, maybe not that last one, but never say never.  

All that is down the road, though.  The goal for right now is to just get it cleaned up a bit.  And now that I've said it out loud, so to speak, I have to do it.  

Well, it's been three weeks, and the cat hasn't bothered the Christmas tree at all, so I took a chance and put some presents under it.  


I am also working on a Christmas concert for you.  It'll only be three or four songs, but I hope to get them recorded this week.  I think I'm going to try recording them on my phone.  Speaking of, I recorded this to show you...when my washer finishes a cycle, it plays a cute little tune instead of an annoying buzz.  (Skip ahead to :55.)
  

I've spent the last two weeks trying to figure out what that song is.  I'm sure one of my musical experts will let me know.  



1 comment:

Otter said...

Mine played a shorter tune. Now just the dryer does.