Saturday, December 05, 2020

Y'all Would Be Proud

 Y'all would be proud of me.  Why?  Because my little town had a Christmas tree lighting this evening.  

What's so great about that?  Lots of towns have tree lightings.  

Yeah, but I went.  Did you hear me?  I went! To something that required me to leave the house!  I don't  like doing things that require me to leave the house.  Even when we're not in the middle of a global pandemic. 

I debated all day about whether I really even wanted to go or not, but in the end, I decided I'd regret it if I didn't. So I got dressed, turned off the football game, and went to the tree lighting. 

First thing I did when I got there was to go into the Merry Makers Market.  That was a bit of a disappointment, especially since it cost $3 just to get into the door.  It was supposed to be craft booth, where people sell stuff they made, but there were only about 6 vendors in there.  I picked up a couple of ornaments -- which I highly doubt were handmade -- but I didn't see anything else I absolutely had to have.


The rest of the evening was filled with music and...well, that's about it.  Just music.  Well, mostly music.  They had the police, fire department, sheriff, and ambulances drive their vehicles around the square with lights and sirens blazing. 


Oh, and there was a horse drawn carriage that I didn't get a picture of.  I wanted to ride, but the line was very long, so I opted out.  

I have no earthly idea why they lopped the top of the tree off.  It's not under any power lines or anything, but there it is. 


Walking around the square, I discovered my town has a little free library.  Me, I'm such a dork, I had to straighten up the books inside.  


I might even have a few books I could donate to it.  

There was more singing, 


and finally it was time to light the tree.


As I was standing there taking pictures of the tree, 


a lady told me, "If you go over there and take a picture, the streetlight makes the perfect tree topper."  So, I walked over to 'over there' and sure enough, it made the perfect star.  

I didn't stay long after they lit the tree, because I was cold and hungry, and hadn't fed my dogs.  But it was a nice little outing.

  

No comments: